She is the author of a dozen plays, eleven novels, two biographies and a collection of articles she originally wrote for a women's magazine. Her books have been translated into several languages.
She is married to the former Icelandic Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, who was the first openly lesbian head of government in modern history. They were one of the first same-sex couples in Iceland to get married (in 2010, shortly after the law took effect, and while Jóhanna was in office); and until 2015, Jónína was the only modern person to have been the same-sex spouse of a sitting head of government (Belgium's Elio Di Rupo has never been married, while Luxembourg's Xavier Bettel was unable to legally marry until January 1, 2015). The pair met in 1983.
She wrote her first book, Sundur og saman (Back and Forth) in 1993. The book was about a child whose parents divorced. She has now written a book about her relationship with the former prime minister.
- CV: Prime Minister of Iceland Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, Prime Minister's Office, retrieved August 28, 2011
- "Books". Jónína Leósdótti. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- Moody, Jonas (January 30, 2009). "Iceland Picks the World's First Openly Gay PM". Time. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- "Iceland PM weds as gay marriage legalised". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. June 28, 2010. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Sanghani, Radhika (April 10, 2014). "Iceland's Jónína Leósdóttir: I was the world's first lesbian First Lady". The Telegraph. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- Voces, Carmen (April 13, 2014). "La esposa de la presidenta". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- "Jónína Leósdóttir". Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Tribune, Mystery; Coleman, Reed Farrel; Corridan, Shawn; Fiore, Dan; Hart, Rob; Keaton, David James; Fox-Lerner, Aaron; Sweeney, Teresa (July 2017). "Mystery Tribune / Issue Nº2: Summer 2017". Mystery Tribune. No. 2. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- Jónína Leósdóttir's personal webpage
- Jónína Leósdóttir's page on the website of the Icelandic Association of Playwrights and Screenwriters
- Jónína Leósdóttir's page on Literature.is, a website containing information about contemporary Icelandic authors and their work
- on YouTube
- Jónína Leósdóttir on Outlook
- Jónína Leósdóttir on Woman's Hour
- Jónína Leósdóttir interview in The Telegraph
- Jónína Leósdóttir interview in El País
- Jónína Leósdóttir interview in The Times