Józef Michał Poniatowski
|Józef Michał Poniatowski|
|Coat of arms||Ciołek|
|Born||July 24, 1816|
Rome, Papal States
|Died||July 4, 1873 (aged 58)|
Chislehurst, Kent, United Kingdom
Józef Michał Poniatowski (Rome, July 24, 1814 – London, July 4, 1873) was a Polish szlachcic, a composer and an operatic tenor. He was the nephew of the Polish general Prince Józef Antoni Poniatowski. He was created the 1st Conte di Monte Rotondo on November 20, 1847, and the first Principe di Monte Rotondo on November 19, 1850 by Grand Duke of Tuscany Lepold II.
Jozef Michal Poniatowski (Joseph Michael Xavier Francis John) was born Giuseppe Michele Saverio Francesco Giovanni Luci in Rome, the son of Stanisław Poniatowski and Cassandra Luci. He was legitimated as a son of Stanisław Poniatowski in 1847, and he became a naturalized Tuscan.
He studied music under Ceccherini at Florence. He wrote numerous operas for Italian and French theatres. Poniatowski was sent to Paris as plenipotentiary by Grand Duke Leopold II. Napoleon III made him in 1854 a senator and a naturalized French citizen.
He married Matilda Perotti (1814–1875) in 1834 at Florence. They had one son, Stanislaus August Friedrich Józef Telemach (born in Florence on November 9, 1835, died in Paris on January 6, 1908), who married Louise Le Hon.
- Shaman, William, et al., More EJS: Discography of the Edward J. Smith Recordings, Greenwood Publishing Group, 1999. ISBN 0-313-29835-1, p. 89.
- Muzyka w czasopismach polskich: 1919-1939 - Volume 5,Partie 1 Kornel Michałowski - 1979 - Page 41 Stromenger Karol: Książęta muzyki. [Michał Kleofas Ogiński, Antoni Henryk Radziwiłł, Józef Michał Poniatowski.]
- "Poniatowski Family". Genealogy.eu. Retrieved November 26, 2008.[self-published source][better source needed]
- W. L. Hubbard, The American History and Encyclopedia of Music, p. 168
- Encyclopædia Britannica, 1970, p. 221
- "Progeny of Giuseppe Michele Saverio Francesco Giovanni Poniatowski". Genealogy.eu. Retrieved November 25, 2008.[self-published source][better source needed]
|This biography of a Polish noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|