|Born||1934 (age 82–83)
Kernen im Remstal-Stetten
Technical University of Berlin
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, United States
|Institutions||Institution of Structural Engineers|
|Practice name||Schlaich Bergermann & Partner|
|Projects||Olympic Stadium, Munich
Solar updraft tower
|Significant advance||strut and tie model for reinforced concrete|
|Awards||IStructE Gold Medal, Werner von Siemens Ring, Award of Merit in Structural Engineering, José-Entrecanales-Ibarra-award|
Jörg Schlaich (born 1934) is a German structural engineer and is known internationally for his ground-breaking work in the creative design of bridges, long-span roofs, and other complex structures. He is a co-founder of the leading firm Schlaich Bergermann & Partner.
Jörg Schlaich studied architecture and civil engineering from 1953 to 1955 at Stuttgart University before completing his studies at the Technical University of Berlin in 1959. He spent 1959-60 at the Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, United States.
In 1963, he joined the firm Leonhardt & Andrä, the firm founded by Fritz Leonhardt.
In 1993, with the roof of the Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion (since 2008 Mercedes-Benz-Arena) in Stuttgart, he introduced the "speichenrad" principle to structural engineering. Indeed, this principle was employed the first time in the history of Structural Engineering by the Italian engineer Massimo Majowiecki, the designer of the roof of the Olympic Stadium, Rome (built in 1990, three years before the Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion). Since then, his company successfully employed it to stadium projects across the globe. Other structures include the observation tower at the Killesbergpark in Stuttgart. Most of his work as well of that of his company is documented on their website. He is also the developer of the solar tower (or solar chimney) and is largely credited with inventing the strut and tie model for reinforced concrete.
- Schlaich, Jörg; Bergermann, Rudolf. Leicht Weit (Light Structures) ISBN 3-7913-2918-9.
- Holgate, Alan. The Art of Structural Engineering: The Work of Jorg Schlaich and his Team (Books Britain, 1996) ISBN 3-930698-67-6.
- Schlaich, Jörg. The Solar Chimney: Electricity from the Sun ISBN 3-930698-69-2.
- Schlaich, Jörg; Rudolf Bergermann, Wolfgang Schiel & Gerhard Weinrebe (February 2005). ""Design of Commercial Solar Updraft Tower Systems – Utilization of Solar Induced Convective Flows for Power Generation" (PDF). (486 KiB)". Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 127 (1): 117-124. DOI:10.1115/1.1823493. Retrieved on 2007-03-15.
- Schlaich, J., K. Schäfer, M. Jennewein (1987). "Toward a Consistent Design of Structural Concrete". PCI Journal, Special Report, Vol. 32, No. 3.