Munkeby in Aarhus, Denmark (2018)
|Born||3 September 1980|
|Genres||Jazz, rock, electronica, progressive metal|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Tenor saxophone, flute, alto flute, guitar, bass clarinet, keyboards, vocals|
|Labels||Jazzland, Rune Grammofon, Indie Recordings|
|Associated acts||Shining, Jaga Jazzist, Ihsahn, Emperor (band)|
Jørgen Munkeby (born 3 September 1980 in Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz and heavy metal musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer, known as the frontman in the band Shining and former member of Jaga Jazzist.
Munkeby formed Shining as a jazz quartet in 1999, together with fellow students from the Norwegian Academy of Music, Morten Qvenild, Torstein Lofthus and Aslak Hartberg. He played flute, alto flute, tenor saxophone, bass clarinet and keyboards in jazz band Jaga Jazzist (1994–2002), where he was one of the main composers on the album A Livingroom Hush, which was named the best jazz album of 2002 by the BBC. He also plays in the bands "Damp" and "Chrome Hill", and worked with Motorpsycho, Enslaved, Ihsahn, In Lingua Mortua, Bertine Zetlitz, Big Bang, Superfamily, Grand Island, Jim Stärk, Casualties of Cool, and Emperor among others.
Discography (in selection)
- Within Jaga Jazzist
- 1996: Jævla Jazzist Grete Stitz (Thug Records)
- 1998: Magazine EP (Dbut Records)
- 2001: A Livingroom Hush (Warner Music Norway)
- 2001: Airborne/Going Down EP (Warner Music Norway)
- 2001: Going Down 12" (Smalltown Supersound)
- 2002: The Stix (Smalltown Supersound / Warner Music Norway)
- 2002: Days 12", (Smalltown Supersound)
- Within Shining
- 2001: Where The Ragged People Go (BP Records)
- 2003: Sweet Shanghai Devil (Jazzland Records)
- 2005: In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster (Rune Grammofon)
- 2007: Grindstone (Rune Grammofon)
- 2010: Blackjazz (Indie Recordings)
- 2011: Live Blackjazz (Indie Recordings)
- 2013: One One One (Universal Records)
- 2015: International Blackjazz Society (Spinefarm Records)
- 2018: Animal (Spinefarm Records)
- With other projects
- 2002: In The Fishtank (Konkurrent), with Motorpsycho & "Jaga Jazzist Horns»
- 2004: Little Things (Propeller Recordings), with Hanne Hukkelberg
- 2010: After, with Ihsahn
- 2012: Eremita, with Ihsahn
- 2014: Inferno (Prosthetic Records), with Marty Friedman
- 2015: "Viscera", with Haunted Shores
- 2016: Arktis (Candlelight Records), with Ihsahn
- 2016: Melancholy, with Poetry in Telegrams
- 2017: Wall of Sound (Prosthetic Records), with Marty Friedman
- 2017: In Contact (Inside Out Music), with Caligula's Horse
- 2018: Queen of Time (Nuclear Blast), with Amorphis
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jørgen Munkeby.|
- "Shining Biography" (in Norwegian). Rockipedia.no.
- "Jørgen Munkeby – Musiker og komponist" (in Norwegian). AkershusTeater.no. Archived from the original on 22 February 2013.
- "Interview with Jørgen Munkeby of Shining (Nor)". StudioRock.ro.
- "Sax And Violence: Jørgen Munkeby of Shining Interviewed". TheQuietus.com.
- "Shining's Jørgen Munkeby and Chimp Spanner's Paul Ortiz Guest on Poetry in Telegrams Track "Breathing" | MetalSucks". MetalSucks. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2017.