Life and work
Elsässer worked as a teacher in a vocational school in Baden-Württemberg, Germany for 14 years before starting his career as a journalist for left wing magazines in 1994. Elsässer published his first works in the newspaper Arbeiterkampf (Workers' Struggle), a magazine which was tied to the Kommunistischer Bund (communist league), an organisation of which he was a member for years.[not in citation given] In 1990 he was a sharp critic of the German reunification, because he was afraid of the possible dawn of a Viertes Reich (Fourth Reich).
Elsässer was one of the political creators of the Anti-Germans movement. In 1994, he was editor of the Junge Welt (Young world), the former daily of the Freie Deutsche Jugend (Free German Youth), the youth mass organisation of the former ruling GDR-party SED. He was also co-editor of the largest left-wing monthly magazine konkret until he was dismissed in 2003 because of his criticism of the upcoming Iraq War.
Elsässer's current political position is commonly considered as right-wing populism and he is a sharp critic of the migration policy of the German chancellor Angela Merkel.[third-party source needed]
- Brodkorb, Mathias (25 April 2011). "Jürgen Elsässer und sein Magazin "Compact" - Der Gottfried Feder des 21. Jahrhunderts?" [Jürgen Elsässer and his magazine "Compact" - The Gottfried Feder of the 21st century?]. Endstation Rechts (in German). Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Elsässer, Jürgen (2002). "Wie sie lernten, die Bombe zu lieben - Linke, Krieg und Antisemitismus (I)" [How they learned to love the bomb — the left, war and anti-semitism (I)] (in German). Sopos.org. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- Connolly, Kate (12 March 2016). "German anti-refugee party targets 'political earthquake' in elections". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Magazin für Souveränität" [Magazine for Sovereignty] (in German). Compact-magazin.com. Archived from the original on 16 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Korn, Thomas; Umland, Andreas (19 July 2014). "Jürgen Elsässer, Kremlpropagandist" [Jürgen Elsässer, Kremlin propagandist]. ZEIT ONLINE (in German). Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Elsässer, Jürgen (13 September 2015). "Aufruf an unsere Soldaten: Sichert die deutschen Grenzen!" [Call to Our Soldiers: Secure the borders of Germany!] (in German). Juergenelsaesser.wordpress.com. Retrieved 24 March 2016.