Jürgen von der Lippe
|Hans-Jürgen Hubert Dohrenkamp|
8 June 1948 |
|Other names||Jürgen von der Lippe|
|Occupation||Television presenter, Actor, Comedian and Entertainer|
|Known for||presenting the game shows Donnerlippchen (1986–1988) and Geld oder Liebe (1989–2001)|
Hans-Jürgen Dohrenkamp (born 8 June 1948), better known by his stage name Jürgen von der Lippe, is a German television presenter, entertainer, actor and comedian. His stage name comes from the fact that he was born near the source of the river Lippe.
Jürgen von der Lippe was born Hans-Jürgen Dohrenkamp in Bad Salzuflen, and grew up in Aachen, where he attended the Kaiser-Karls-Gymnasium and was a Catholic altar boy. (Today he is an agnostic). His father was the barkeeper in a striptease bar.
In 1976 he, Hans Werner Olm and others founded the music group Gebrüder Blattschuss (The Blattschuss Brothers – literally, Blattschuss is a hunting term for a shot through the shoulder into the heart; figuratively, it means getting one's point across succinctly.)
Jürgen von der Lippe's first major success was Donnerlippchen (Little Thunder Lips) on WDR television station. He went on to present another very successful dating show, Geld oder Liebe (Money or Love) on ARD; this finished in 2001 after twelve years on air.
Some other public service broadcasting programmes of his included WWF Club (1980 to 1990), So isses ("That's how it is"), Die Goldene Eins ("The Golden No. 1"), Hast Du Worte ("Got words?", Wat is? ("Whassup?"), Lippes Lachmix ("Lippe's Comedy Mix") and Was liest Du? ("What are you reading?").
In spring 2004 he played the main role of Father Erdmann in the comedy series Der Heiland auf dem Eiland ("The Saviour on the Island") on RTL Television. The first series of six episodes was very successful. The second series ran from 23 February 2005, this time with eight episodes. Jürgen von der Lippe had already played a Catholic priest in the comedy Nich’ mit Leo, in which he also played a brothel manager and a Foreign Legionnaire.
As of 2007, he sometimes appears in the improvisational comedy series Schillerstraße, playing the role of Cordula Stratmann's father. Since 15 July 2006, von der Lippe has also presented the programme Extreme Activity on the commercial station ProSieben.
Career as a singer
In 1976 von der Lippe founded the "Gebrüder Blattschuss", which lasted until 1979. His greatest musical success, however, was Guten Morgen, liebe Sorgen ("Good morning, dear worries"), which made it to first place in the ZDF hit parade in July and August 1987.
Von der Lippe's stage appearances have been sold in large numbers as soundtracks and videos. Typically, he dissects odd quirks and everyday events, expertly poking gentle fun at them, with plenty of self-irony. He makes playful use of amusing borrowed words and synonyms in German.
The main themes are marriage, relationships between men and women and the way people act in certain situations. He often brings in fictitious "autobiographical" stories supposed to be from his youth or childhood, often based on his old "arch enemy" "Udo Lohmeier". Each show generally has a topic running through it. When on tour, von der Lippe also likes to vary the content of his stage shows, integrating current events.
Many of his sketches are literal translations from Bill Cosby (e.g. Rache = revenge) or George Carlin (e.g. interview with Jesus).
During his career, von der Lippe has created many characters who appear and reappear in monologues and songs, often played by von der Lippe himself in costume. These include a naive Catholic priest who reflects on human behaviour (often sexual), a postal worker from the Sauerland, with an appropriate accent, and "Kalle", a Berlin heavy metal fan.
- Guten Morgen, liebe Sorgen (1987)
- Germany: 3 (05.6.1987) 15 weeks
- Austria: 11 (15.9.1987) 18 weeks
- Dann ist der Wurm drin (1987)
- G: 28
- Is was (1989)
- G: 65
- König Der City (1992)
- G: 83
- Guten Morgen, liebe Sorgen (1987)
- G: 4
- Is was? (1989)
- G: 62
- Der Blumenmann (1995)
- G: 78
- Männer, Frauen, Vegetarier (1998)
- G: 23 (23.1.1998) 15 weeks
- So bin ich (2001)
- G: 59 (20.4.2001) 3 weeks
- 1977: Sing was Süßes
- 1978: Nicht am Bär packen!
- 1979: Extra Drei
- 1980: Zwischen allen Stühlen
- 1982: Kenn'Se den?
- 1983: Ein Mann Show
- 1985: Teuflisch gut! (LP title; published on CD as "Man kann nicht immer Sieger sein")
- 1987: Guten Morgen, Liebe Sorgen
- 1989: Is was
- 1990: Humor ist Humor
- 1992: König der City
- 1995: Der Blumenmann
- 1998: Männer, Frauen, Vegetarier
- 1999: Die andere Seite
- 2001: Große Männer (Best-of sampler)
- 2001: So bin ich
- 2004: Alles was ich liebe
- 2006: Deutscher Comedypreis – Ehrenpreis für sein Lebenswerk
- 1999: ECHO for Media Man of the Year
- 1996: Bambi für TV Moderation
- 1994: Adolf Grimme Award for Geld oder Liebe
- 1993: Goldene Kamera for Geld oder Liebe
- 1992: Telestar for Geld oder Liebe
- 1988: Bronzene Kamera, audience choice in comedy category
- 1987: Goldene Schallplatte for "Guten Morgen liebe Sorgen"
- 1987: Goldener Löwe from RTL for Guten Morgen, liebe Sorgen
- 1982: Liederpfennig
- Much of this article was translated from the German version of February 2007.
- "Biografie Jürgen von der Lippe Lebenslauf". was-war-wann.de (in German). Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- DPA (24 September 2014). "Von den Altarstufen auf die Showbühne – Viele Promis waren Messdiener". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). Frankfurt. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Jürgen von der Lippe – Biografie". eventim.de (in German). Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Interview mit Jürgen von der Lippe – 'Ich bin eben ein erheiternder Agnostiker'". emsdettenervolkszeitung.de (in German). Medienhaus Lensing. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Opitz, Mareike (13 June 2013). "Entertainer Jürgen von der Lippe – 'Ja, ich bin Freizeitklugscheißer'". Focus (in German). Munich. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Hauser, Jan (14 August 2009). "Studienabbrecher Jürgen von der Lippe: Germanist im Hawaiihemd". spiegel.de/unispiegel (in German). Der Spiegel. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Ehrenberg, Markus (4 March 2012). "Gespräch mit Jürgen von der Lippe: 'Raab steckt sie doch alle in die Tasche'". tagesspiegel.de (in German). Der Tagesspiegel. Retrieved 21 November 2014.