Allik holds Ph.D. degrees in psychology both from the University of Moscow, Russia (1976) and University of Tampere, Finland (1991). Spending his academic career at the University of Tartu (with the exception of a stint at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland), he became Professor of Psychophysics in 1992, and is since 2002 Professor of Experimental Psychology. He is also the head of the University of Tartu’s Department of Psychology and the chairman of the Estonian Science Foundation (2003-2009), as well as an editor of Estonia’s most important social science and humanities journal in English, Trames.
Allik was both President (1988–1994) and Vice President (1994–2001) of the Estonian Psychological Association. He is a Foreign Member of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters and a Member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
Allik’s main contributions to international psychology lie mainly in two areas: visual perception and eye movement, and the comparative study of collectivism vs. individualism. Within Estonia and in Estonian, his highly critical publications on Sigmund Freud, on the history of psychology, and on the measuring of science productivity, the transition of science, and quality control are of great importance as well.
Allik received Estonian National Science Award, Social Sciences category in 1998 and 2005.
Selected recent publications
- Allik, J., Realo, A., Mõttus, R., Borkenau, P., Kuppens, P., & Hřebíèková, M. (2012). Person-fit to the five factor model of personality. Swiss Journal of Psychology, 71(1), 35-45. DOI 10.1024/1421-0185/a000066.
- Allik, J., & McCrae, R.R. (2004). Towards a geography of personality traits: patterns of profiles across 36 cultures. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 35, 13-28.
- Allik, J., & Realo, A. (2004). Individualism-collectivism and social capital. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 35, 29-49.
- Allik, J., Toom, M., & Luuk, A. (2003). Planning of saccadic eye movement direction and amplitude. Psychological Research, 67, 10-21.
- Kreegipuu, K., & Allik, J. (2003). Perceived onset time and position of a moving stimulus. Vision Research, 43, 1625-1635.
- McCrae, R.R. & Allik, J. (Eds.), The Five-Factor Model Across Cultures. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2002.
- Aavik, T. & Allik, J. (2002). The structure of Estonian personal values: A lexical approach. European Journal of Personality, 16, 221-235.
- Realo, A. & Allik, J. (1999). A cross-cultural study of collectivism: A comparison of American, Estonian, and Russian students. Journal of Social Psychology, 139, 133-142.
- Toomela, A. & Allik, J. (1999). Components of verbal working memory. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 22 (1), 110-111.
- Allik, J. (1999). Perceiving emmattered form. Trames, 3 (53/48), 81-98.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Jüri Allik.|
- reference the "Jüri Allik" Estonian wikipedia article