|Cardinal, Archbishop Emeritus of Riga|
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Riga|
|Term ended||19 June 2010|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of Santa Silvia|
|Ordination||29 March 1951|
|Consecration||1 June 1991|
|Created Cardinal||21 February 1998
by John Paul II, in pectore
November 14, 1930 |
Nautrēni parish in Latgale, Latvia
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Pujats was born in Nautrēni parish in Latgale. He attended the Theological Seminary in Riga until it was closed by the Soviet Union in 1951. Two months later, he was ordained in a secret ceremony by Archbishop Antonijs Springovičs. During the episcopate of Pope Paul VI, he implemented the Pope's liturgical reform and published the first missal in Latvian. Jānis Pujats was made Archbishop of Riga in 1991. On 21 February 1998 he was made a Cardinal in pectore by Pope John Paul II; his cardinalate was made public at the consistory of 21 February 2001. He was one of the cardinal electors who participated in the 2005 papal conclave that selected Pope Benedict XVI. He speaks Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, German and Latin in addition to his native Latvian. He is noted for being the only member of the Synod of Bishops to speak exclusively Latin when at the microphone at both the 2001 and 2005 meetings.
Condemnation of homosexuality
In a May 2007 open letter protesting a gay pride march scheduled for 3 June 2007 as part of the Riga Pride and Friendship Days, Pujāts referred to homosexuality as "absolute depravity in sexual behavior" and an "unnatural form of prostitution". He told the faithful to 'be prepared to go out into the streets" to protest the events, "not to create disorder, but to offer a disciplined position in support of the government, because on this very important issue of morals, the government is on the side of Christians."
- "Statistics on the Consistory". Vatican Press Office. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Holy See Press Office. Biographical notes
- Cardinals call on Pope to save Latin from last rites, The Times, 24 October 2005
- RINUNCIA DELL’ARCIVESCOVO METROPOLITA DI RIGA (LETTONIA) E NOMINA DEL SUCCESSORE Archived 22 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine., Vatican Information Service, 19 June 2010
- Interfax: Homosexuality 'unnatural form of prostitution', Latvian Catholic leader says, Interfax/Catholic Online, 10 May 2007
- Gay pride parade to attract international audience, The Baltic Times, 23 May 2007
- Cardinal: homosexuality a form of prostitution, Pink News, 9 May 2007