Timma with Baskonia, in 2017
|No. 3 – BC Khimki|
|League||VTB United League|
|Born||July 2, 1992|
|Listed height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Listed weight||226 lb (103 kg)|
|NBA draft||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 60th overall|
|Selected by the Memphis Grizzlies|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jānis Timma (born 2 July 1992) is a Latvian professional basketball player for BC Khimki of the VTB League and the EuroLeague. He also represents the senior Latvian national team. At a height of 2.03 m (6'8") tall, and a weight of 103 kg (226 lbs.), he plays mainly at the small forward position.
Timma grew up playing basketball in his hometown of Krāslava, but he later moved to Rīga, at age 15. At first he joined ASK Rīga's youth system, and made a few appearances for its senior team, during the end of the 2008–09 season. The following year, ASK Riga was dissolved and he played with DSN Rīga, a team that consisted of young Latvian talents. Timma helped DSN Rīga to win the Latvian 2nd division in the 2009–10 season. He also spent the majority of the next season playing with DSN Rīga.
Timma joined Liepājas Lauvas for the 2011–12 season. That can be considered his first real season at the pro level. After a decent season in Liepāja, Timma made the next step in his career. On 1 August 2012, he signed a multi-year contract with Ventspils.
On July 28, 2014, he signed with the Latvian club VEF Rīga, where he played for the first time in such quality competition as the European-wide secondary league, the EuroCup, and the VTB United League.
Timma was named the MVP of the 2015 Latvian Basketball League All-Star Game, after he scored 41 points, and set a new scoring record. On May 5, 2015, he was named the VTB United League Young Player of the Year. He finished the season with VEF Rīga, by winning the Latvian League (LBL) championship. In total, he played in 58 games with VEF Riga, averaging 12.6 points per game, in all the competitions that his team participated in.
NBA draft rights
National team career
With Latvia's junior national team, Timma won a bronze medal at the 2010 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship. In 2013, he made his first appearance with the senior Latvian national team. With Latvia's senior team, he has played at the 2015 EuroBasket, the 2016 Belgrade FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, and the 2017 EuroBasket.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Grizzlies select Jamaal Franklin and Janis Timma in 2013 NBA Draft Timma (6-8, 226).
- Janis Timma Position: Small Forward Ht: 6-8 Wt: 226.
- "Jānis Timma pievienojas BK". Tvnet.lv (in Latvian). August 1, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Janis Timma named VTB League Young Player of the Year.
- Янис Тимма присоединился к "Зениту". basket.fc-zenit.ru (in Russian). 30 June 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Janis Timma, primer fichaje del Baskonia 2017-17" (in Spanish). baskonia.com. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "Janis Timma finaliza su etapa como baskonista - Saski Baskonia". Saski Baskonia (in Spanish). 18 July 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Janis Timma joins Reds". EuroLeague.net. July 18, 2018. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Janis Timma will enter the NBA Draft". Sportando.net. April 18, 2013. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Grizzlies select Jamaal Franklin and Janis Timma in 2013 NBA Draft". NBA.com. June 28, 2013. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "Magic Acquire Draft Rights to Jānis Timma; Trade Luke Ridnour". NBA.com. June 24, 2015. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- Janis TIMMA (LAT).