Johannes Conrad Schauer
|Johannes Conrad Schauer|
|Born||16 February 1813
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
|Died||24 October 1848 (aged 35)
|Institutions||University of Greifswald|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Schauer|
Johannes Conrad Schauer (16 February 1813 – 24 October 1848) was a botanist interested in Spermatophytes. He was born in Frankfurt am Main and attended the gymnasium of Mainz from 1825 to 1837. For the next three years he worked at the Hofgarten of Würzburg. Schauer then gained a position as assistant at the botanical garden at Bonn where he worked until 1832 when he was placed in charge of the botanic garden in Breslau, (now Wrocław in Poland) with C.G. Nees. He gained the degree of Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg 1835 and was appointed professor of botany at the University of Greifswald from 1843 until his death in 1848.
Although he never visited Australia, many Australian botanists and plant collectors sent him plant specimens, especially eucalypts and other members of the myrtle family, Myrtaceae. For example, when Allan Cunningham died in 1839, Schauer received many botanical specimens from the executor of Cunningham's estate, Robert Heward, including Eucalyptus clavigera (now Corymbia clavigera (A.Cunn. & Schauer) K.D. Hill & L.A.S. Johnson). Many of Schauer's descriptions were published in Walpers' Repertorium Botanices Systematicae and Dissertatio phytographica de Regelia, Beaufortia et Calothamno : generibus plantarum Myrtacearum.
- "Acanthaceae" (with Christian Gottfried Daniel Nees von Esenbeck); part of the series Flora Brasiliensis, volume IX, fascicle VII, X.
- "Monographia Myrtacearum xerocarpicarum. Sectio I., Chamaelauciearum : hucusque cognitarum genera et species illustrans", 1840.
- "Chamaelaucieae : commentatio botanica", 1841.
- "Genera myrtacearum nova vel denuo recognita", 1843.
- "Dissertatio phytographica de Regelia, Beaufortia et calothamno, generibus plantarum myrtacearum", 1845.
- Walsh, Neville; Moje, Christine. "Schauer, Johann Conrad (1813 - 1848)". Encyclopedia of Australian Science. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Schauer, Johannes Conrad (1813-1848)". Author Details. IPNI. 1991-07-11. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
Area of Interest: Spermatophytes
- Stafleu, Frans A.; Cowan, Richard S. (1985). Taxonomic literature : a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types. Volume 5, Sal-Ste (2nd ed.). Utrecht, Netherlands: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema. ISBN 9031306312. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Eucalyptus lehmannii — Bushy Yate". Plant of the Month. FloraBase. February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- Webb, Joan B. (June 2012). "Allan Cunningham in Careening Bay, W.A.". Australian Systematic Botany Society Newsletter (151): 3–6.
- Walpers, Wilhelm Gerhard (1843). Repertorium Botanices Systematicae (Volume 2). Lipsiae, Sumptibus Friderici Hofmeister. pp. 924–932. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Published Resources Details". Encyclopedia of Australian Science. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Plant Name Search Results" (HTML). International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Works by or about Johann Konrad Schauer in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- IPNI. Schauer.