J. B. Hunt
|Founded||August 10, 1961|
Johnnie Bryan Hunt
|Headquarters||Lowell, Arkansas, U.S.|
(Chairman of the Board)
John N. Roberts, III
(President & CEO)
|Revenue||US$9.165 billion (2019)|
|US$734 million (2019)|
|US$516 million (2019)|
|Total assets||US$5.471 billion (2019)|
|Total equity||US$2.267 billion (2019)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. is an American transportation and logistics company based in Lowell, Arkansas. It was founded by Johnnie Bryan Hunt and Johnelle Hunt in Arkansas on August 10, 1961. By 1983, J.B. Hunt had grown into the 80th largest trucking firm in the U.S. and earned $623.47 million in revenue. At that time J.B. Hunt was operating 550 tractors, 1,049 trailers, and had roughly 1,050 employees. J.B. Hunt primarily operates large semi-trailer trucks and provides transportation services throughout the continental U.S., Canada and Mexico. The company currently employs over 24,000 and operates more than 12,000 trucks. The company's fleet consists of over 100,000 trailers and containers.
The company was founded in 1961. By 1983, J.B. Hunt became a publicly held company and had grown into the 80th largest trucking firm in the U.S.
In 1989, J.B. Hunt Transport began partnering with railroads to offer intermodal service. The initial railroad partnership was with the former Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (now part of the BNSF Railway) and has since grown to other Class I railroads including Norfolk Southern, CSX, CN, and KCS. The company's operations are distributed in four business segments (intermodal transport, contract services, logistics and truckload shipping), providing delivery services in the continental United States, Canada, and Mexico. About two-thirds of the company's revenues and profits come from intermodal.
The company introduced a dedicated service in 1993.
The company uses load optimization software systems to decrease empty miles for drivers and GHG emission improving overall route efficiency. J.B. Hunt also reserved several Tesla electric trucks and added the first-ever, all-electric box trucks to its fleet.  In 2019, the company received the SmartWay Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) for the 10th consecutive year. 
J.B. Hunt has implemented hair testing for all pre-employment tests since May 2006, in addition to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) mandated urine testing. Hair testing can detect prior drug usage for up to 90 days. Drivers are also trained and certified in the safety training program Smith System, the company understand that the drivers' education is paramount to reduce accidents and save lives.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "J B Hunt Transport Services Inc People". Reuters.
- Schwartz, Marvin (1992). J.B. Hunt : the long haul to success. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1-55728-250-1. OCLC 24794029.
- "Form 10-K J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc". Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- Salpukas, Agis (1992-06-21). "When Trucks and Trains Unite". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "JB Hunt close to intermodal deal with Norfolk Southern- analysts". Reuters. 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2020-02-24.
- Pettus, Michael L. (2003). Growth from chaos : developing your firm's resources to achieve profitability without cost cutting. Westport, Conn.: Praeger. ISBN 978-0-313-09416-3. OCLC 540956790.
- Iii, Chelsea White (18 January 2018). Trucking in the Age of Information. Routledge. ISBN 9781351143943.
- Cheng, Evelyn. "Tesla shares pop after trucker JB Hunt reserves 'multiple' semitractor-trailers". CNBC.
- Marty, Cook. "J.B. Hunt Adds 5 Electric Trucks to Final Mile Division". Arkansas Business.
- "NWA business briefs". 3 November 2019.
- Straight, Brian (8 October 2019). "Today's Pickup: J.B. Hunt, Schneider lead SmartWay Excellence Award winners". Freight Waves.
- Fiorentino, Dary (2011). Operator drug- and alcohol-testing across modes. Transportation Research Board. p. 31. ISBN 9780309223447.
- "Hair follicle drug test: How it works, what to expect, and accuracy". www.medicalnewstoday.com.
- Babcock, Stephane. "Fleets Share COVID-19 Driver Safety Insights". www.truckinginfo.com.
- Schmidt, Ally (2 January 2015). "What sets J.B. Hunt apart from its competitors?". Market Realist.
- "Public Safety".