J. B. Larue
Life and work
In 1835, Larue migrated from New jersey to Pipestone Township, Michigan, where he purchased land and built a sawmill. From 1840 to 1841, Larue served as a representative in the Michigan legislature. In 1850 he left Michigan for the California gold rush.
In 1858, Larue began the Oakland and San Antonio Steam Navigation Company, operating a cut-rate passenger ferry between Oakland and San Francisco. Larue was sued by his competitor Minturn, who claimed an exclusive contract with the city of Oakland to operate the Oakland-San Francisco ferry route. The case was appealed to the U.S. Supreme court, with Minturn's exclusivity claims being rejected.
- "Planning for the Central Lower San Antonio Neighborhood" (PDF). Department of City and Regional Planning Institute of Urban and Regional Development, UC Berkeley. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "The centennial year book of Alameda County". Internet Archive. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- EARLY HISTORY WITH BIOGRAPHIES OF STATE OFFICERS. State of Michigan. 1888. pp. 407–.
- Dewitt Jones (1934). Port of Oakland. The Board.
- D.W.ENSIGN & CO. (1880). BERRIEN AND VAN BUREN COUNTIES. pp. 334–.
- Michigan. Department of State (1887). Michigan Official Directory and Legislative Manual. State of Michigan. pp. 215–.
- Michigan Historical Commission; Stephen D. Bingham (1924). Michigan Biographies: Including Members of Congress, Elective State Officers, Justices of the Supreme Court, Members of the Michigan Legislature, Board of Regents of the University of Michigan, State Board of Agriculture and State Board of Education. Michigan Historical Commission.
- Vigil, Lauren Hennel. "The Real Brooklyn by the Bay". East Bay Express. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- Hubert Howe Bancroft (1888). History of California. History Company. pp. 478–.
- Jacob Wright Harlan (18 May 2016). Growing Up with California: 1846~1888. BIG BYTE BOOKS. pp. 103–.
- Lewis Publishing. A Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, Illustrated. Рипол Классик. pp. 100–. ISBN 978-5-87375-797-8.
- The Bay of San Francisco: The Metropolis of the Pacific Coast and Its Suburban Cities : a History. Lewis Publishing Company. 1892. pp. 386–.
- Jerry MacMullen (1 January 1944). Paddle-wheel Days in California. Stanford University Press. pp. 127–. ISBN 978-0-8047-0382-6.
- History of Alameda County, California: Including Its Geology, Topography, Soil, and Productions. M. W. Wood. 1883. pp. 545–.
- "Minturn v. Larue". Justia. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "The centennial year book of Alameda County, California". Internet archive. Retrieved 6 December 2016.