J. B. Torrance
|James B. Torrance|
James B. Torrance
|Born||3 February 1923|
|Died||15 November 2003(aged 80)|
|Title||Erstwhile Professor of Systematic Theology, University of Aberdeen|
|Education||Marburg and Basel|
James B. Torrance (3 February 1923 – 15 November 2003) was a Scottish theologian, biblical scholar, and academic. He was Professor of Systematic Theology at the University of Aberdeen. He was a younger brother to Thomas F. Torrance and father of Alan Torrance. He gave the 1994 Didsbury Lectures (published as Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace), and the 2001 Warfield Lectures at Princeton.
James Torrance was educated in Edinburgh, receiving First class degrees in Philosophy (for which he was also awarded Senior Medals in moral philosophy, logic and metaphysics) and Theology. Following this he continued his studies in Marburg and Basel, where he studied with Karl Barth, and then continued research in Oxford.
- Torrance, James B. (1996). Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace. The 1994 Didsbury Lectures. London: Paternoster.
- ———; Walls, Roland (1992). John Duns Scotus in a Nutshell. Edinburgh: Handsel Press.
Articles and chapters
- ———; Barclay, Oliver; Boyd, Robert; MacKay, Donald (1953). "The Nature of the Problem". Where Science and Faith Meet. London: InterVarsity Press. pp. 7–13. ISBN 978-0851100036.
- ——— (1970). "Covenant and Contract, a Study of the Theological Background of Worship in seventeenth-century Scotland". Scottish Journal of Theology. 23: 51–76.
- ——— (1973). "The Contribution of McLeod Campbell to Scottish Theology". Scottish Journal of Theology. 26: 295–311.
- ——— (1981). "The Vicarious Humanity of Christ". In Torrance, Thomas F. The Incarnation, Ecumenical Studies in the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, AD 381. Edinburgh: Handsel Press.
- ——— (1983). "The Incarnation and 'Limited Atonement". The Evangelical Quarterly. 55 (2): 83–94.
- ——— (July 1987). "Authority, Scripture and Tradition". The Evangelical Quarterly. 59 (3): 245–251.
- ——— (1991). "The Doctrine of the Trinity in our Contemporary Situation". In Heron, Alasdair. The Forgotten Trinity: Selection of Papers Presented to the BCC v. 3: Study Commission on Trinitarian Doctrine Today. Churches Together in Britain and Ireland.
- ——— (1996). "Introduction". ,. In Campbell, J. McLeod. The Nature of the Atonement. Edinburgh: Handsel Press.
- n.b. by others about Torrance or "Festschrift"
- Hart, Trevor A.; Thimell, Daniel P., eds. (1989). Christ in Our Place: The Humanity of God in Christ for the Reconciliation of the World: Essays Presented to James Torrance. London: Paternoster. ISBN 978-0-8536-4504-7.
- Dawson, Gerrit, ed. (2007). Introduction to Torrance Theology: Discovering the Incarnate Saviour. London: T & T Clark. ISBN 978-0-5670-3181-5.
|This biography of a Scottish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a British theology academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|