J. H. van Lint
Jack van Lint
|Died||28 September 2004(aged 72)|
|Alma mater||Utrecht University|
|Known for||Berlekamp–Van Lint–Seidel graph|
|Awards||Euler Medal (1996)|
|Institutions||Eindhoven University of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Fred van der Blij|
Jacobus Hendricus ("Jack") van Lint (1 September 1932 – 28 September 2004) was a Dutch mathematician, professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology, of which he was rector magnificus from 1991 till 1996.
He gained his Ph.D. from Utrecht University in 1957 under the supervision of Fred van der Blij. He was professor of mathematics at Eindhoven University of Technology from 1959 to 1997.
He was appointed a full professor at Eindhoven University of Technology at the age of 26 years. His field of research was initially number theory, but he worked mainly in combinatorics and coding theory.
Van Lint was honored with a great number of awards. He became a member of Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1972, received four honorary doctorates, was an honorary member of the Royal Netherlands Mathematics Society (Koninklijk Wiskundig Genootschap), and received a Knighthood.
- Coding Theory, 1971.
- Combinatorial Theory Seminar Eindhoven University of Technology, 1974
- Introduction to Coding Theory, Springer, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 1982, 3rd. edition 1999.
- with Peter Cameron: Designs, Graphs, Codes and their Links, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes, Cambridge University Press, 1980.
- with Richard M. Wilson: A Course in Combinatorics, Cambridge University Press, 1992. 2nd edition. 2001.
- with Gerard van der Geer: Introduction to Coding theory and Algebraic Geometry, Birkhäuser, 1988.
- ^ J. H. van Lint at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ^ B. van Asch, A. Blokhuis, H. Hollmann, W. Kantor, H. van Tilborg, Jack van Lint (1932-2004): A survey of his scientific work, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 113 (2006), 1594-1613
- ^ "Jacob Hendricus van Lint (1932 - 2004)" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- ^ Wilf, Herbert S. (1975). "Review of Algebraic graph theory by Norman Biggs and Combinatorial theory seminar by Jacobus H. van Lint" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 81 (3): 536–538. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1975-13731-1.
- Personal web site
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Jacobus Hendricus van Lint", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews
- 1932 births
- 2004 deaths
- 20th-century Dutch mathematicians
- Academic staff of the Eindhoven University of Technology
- Members of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Rectores Magnifici of the Eindhoven University of Technology
- People from Bandung
- Dutch scientist stubs
- European mathematician stubs