J. H. van Lint
|Jack van Lint|
|Born||1 September 1932|
|Died||28 September 2004(aged 72)|
|Alma mater||Utrecht University|
|Awards||Euler Medal (1996)|
|Institutions||Eindhoven University of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Fred van der Blij|
Jacobus Hendricus ("Jack") van Lint (1 September 1932 – 28 September 2004) was a Dutch mathematician, professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology, of which he was rector magnificus from 1991 till 1996.
He was appointed a full professor at Eindhoven University of Technology at the age of 26 years. His field of research was initially number theory, but he worked mainly in combinatorics and coding theory.
Van Lint was honored with a great number of awards. He became a member of Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1972, received four honorary doctorates, was an honorary member of the Royal Netherlands Mathematics Society (Koninklijk Wiskundig Genootschap), and received a Knighthood.
- Coding Theory, 1971.
- Combinatorial Theory Seminar Eindhoven University of Technology, 1974
- Introduction to Coding Theory, Springer, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 1982, 3rd. edition 1999.
- with Peter Cameron: Designs, Graphs, Codes and their Links, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes, Cambridge University Press, 1980.
- with Richard M. Wilson: A Course in Combinatorics, Cambridge University Press, 1992. 2nd edition. 2001.
- with Gerard van der Geer: Introduction to Coding theory and Algebraic Geometry, Birkhäuser, 1988.
- J. H. van Lint at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- B. van Asch, A. Blokhuis, H. Hollmann, W. Kantor, H. van Tilborg, Jack van Lint (1932-2004): A survey of his scientific work, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 113 (2006), 1594-1613
- "Jacob Hendricus van Lint (1932 - 2004)" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- Wilf, Herbert S. (1975). "Review of Algebraic graph theory by Norman Biggs and Combinatorial theory seminar by Jacobus H. van Lint" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 81 (3): 536–538. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1975-13731-1.
- Personal web site
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Jacobus Hendricus van Lint", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about a Dutch scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a European mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|