J. J. Matijevic
|J. J. Matijevic|
|Born: November 14, 1995|
Matijevic attended Norwin High School in North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. He played baseball and basketball at Norwin, but focused on baseball in his senior year. The Boston Red Sox selected him as a shortstop in the 22nd round of the 2014 MLB draft. He did not sign, and enrolled at the University of Arizona, where he played college baseball for the Arizona Wildcats.
The Houston Astros selected Matijevic in the second round, with the 75th overall selection, of the 2017 MLB draft. He signed with the Astros, receiving a $700,000 signing bonus, and was assigned to the Tri-City ValleyCats of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League, where he began his professional career. He was promoted to the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Class A Midwest League in August. In 59 games between the two teams, he hit .228 with seven home runs, 31 RBIs, and 11 stolen bases.
Matijevic began 2018 with Quad Cities. In May, the Astros promoted him to the Buies Creek Astros of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. In 101 games between both teams, he hit .277/.350/.538 with 22 home runs and 62 RBIs. He began 2019 with the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League.
- "Two former WPIAL players projected to be early picks in MLB draft | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Norwin grad J.J. Matijevic's bat is music to Arizona's ears | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Mike Kovak (April 16, 2017). "Norwin graduate Matijevic blossoms for No. 7 Arizona". TribLIVE. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Lev, Michael (June 11, 2017). "Appeal of Arizona Wildcats prospects JJ Matijevic, Jared Oliva goes beyond talent | Arizona Wildcats Baseball". tucson.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Jake Kaplan (June 12, 2017). "Astros draft Arizona second baseman J.J. Matijevic at 75th overall - Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Jake Kaplan (June 24, 2017). "Astros draftee JJ Matijevic to begin pro career with Tri-City - Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Beckner Jr., Bill (April 26, 2018). "Matijevic finding his rhythm with Astros' single-A River Bandits". TribLIVE. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Beckner Jr., Bill (May 8, 2018). "Norwin grad Matijevic promoted to Astros' high-A team". TribLIVE. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- "J.J. Matijevic Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)