J. Kenji López-Alt
López-Alt graduated from MIT, where he majored in architecture. He is the son of Harvard geneticist and immunologist Frederick Alt. At marriage he combined his surname with his wife Adriana López, also an MIT graduate and PhD. Kenji resides in San Mateo, California, after previously living in New York City.
López-Alt worked with several Boston chefs including Barbara Lynch and Ken Oringer. He went on to work as a test cook and editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine and America's Test Kitchen. He is currently the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, a food blog, where he authors the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab. He is also a columnist for Cooking Light.
His first book, The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science, was published in September 2015 by W. W. Norton & Company. It was a New York Times Bestseller and won the 2016 James Beard Foundation Award for General Cooking, as well as the International Association of Culinary Professionals awards for Best American Cookbook and Cookbook of the Year.
- "Fall 2015's Best Cookbooks: Cooking Pros Bring It Home". Eater. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Pearlstein, Joanna. "The Ultimate Book for Science Nerds Who Cook". WIRED. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "A SIDE OF SCIENCE - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Killingsworth, Silvia (2015-10-03). "Kenji López-Alt's Obsessive Kitchen Experiments". The New Yorker. ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Mr. Wizard's Food Lab: J. Kenji López-Alt's unlikely path to stardom". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Alumnus Chef One-Ups (OK, Maybe Two-Ups) KFC". slice.mit.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Masthead". www.seriouseats.com. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "The Complete 2015 JBF Award Nominees". www.jamesbeard.org. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Kenji Lopez-Alt". Cooking Light. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "The Food Lab". books.wwnorton.com. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous Books - Best Sellers - December 20, 2015". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "The 2016 Book, Broadcast, and Journalism Awards: Complete Winner Recap". www.jamesbeard.org. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Winners - IACP". IACP. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Internet Food Guru J. Kenji Lopez-Alt Opening Real Life Beer and Sausage Hall". Eater SF. Retrieved 2017-12-27.