J. Michael Evans
|Birth name||John Michael Evans|
|Born||August 16, 1957|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Evans was vice chairman of Goldman Sachs, chairman of Goldman Sachs Asia and for 20 years a partner in the firm. In 2015, he was appointed president of Alibaba Group reporting to Daniel Zhang. Evans had served on the board of Alibaba since its September 2014 IPO and will continue on the board as a management member. He had known Alibaba founder Jack Ma since before 2005. In the high-profile IPO, Goldman was one of six lead underwriters with Mark Schwartz, chairman of Goldman Asia Pacific, named as lead banker for Goldman in a lead-up New York Times report.
Evans was charged in 2019 for his involvement in the 1MDB scandal
- "Oxonian Olympians". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on September 20, 2012. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Dheensaw, Cleve (March 4, 2013). "Victoria's Howard looks to stroke Oxford to victory in Boat Race". Victoria Times-Colonist. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "Canadian helps Oxford win annual University Boat Race over Cambridge". CBC Sports. The Canadian Press. March 31, 2013. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "Michael Evans: A Closer Look at Goldman Sachs' New Wonder Boy". Wall Street Journal. January 27, 2011.
- Wong, Gillian, "Alibaba Group Names Michael Evans as President", Wall Street Journal, August 4, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- de la Merced, Michael J., "The Six Banks Leading Alibaba’s Giant I.P.O.", New York Times Dealbook, May 6, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "JOHN ROBERT EVANS's Obituary on Toronto Star". Toronto Star.
- "John Evans family donates $10-million to MaRS" – via The Globe and Mail.
- "A humble man of many talents, John Evans reinvented medical education" – via The Globe and Mail.
|This article about a Canadian Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to Canadian rowing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|