J. Morgan Kousser
Joseph Morgan Kousser (born October 7, 1943 in Lewisburg, Tennessee) is an American historian, since 1971 a professor of history and social sciences at the California Institute of Technology. Kousser is author of The Shaping of Southern Politics: Suffrage Restriction and the Establishment of the One-Party South, 1880-1910 (1974), and Colorblind Injustice: Minority Voting Rights and the Undoing of the Second Reconstruction (1999). Kousser was the editor of the journal Historical Methods from 2000-2013.
One of Kousser's primary fields of expertise is the current and historical interaction of race and voting rights in the United States. He has served as an expert witness in over thirty-five federal or state voting rights cases, including Garza v. County of Los Angeles (1990), United States v. Memphis (1991), Shaw v. Hunt (1994), Cano v. Davis (2002) and Perry v. Perez (2013).
Kousser is a graduate of Princeton University (A.B., 1965) and Yale University (Ph.D., 1971) and holds an honorary degree from Oxford University (M.A., 1984). In the past, he held visiting professorships at Harvard University (1981), and Oxford University, where he was the Harold Vyvyan Harmsworth Professor of American History in 1984-1985.
Education and Honors
Ph.D., Yale University, 1971, History
M.Phil., Yale University, 1968, History
M.A., Oxford University, 1984 (honorary)
- Do the Facts of Voting Rights Support Chief Justice Roberts's Opinion in Shelby County? (October 1, 2014) read online
- Colorblind Injustice: Minority Voting Rights and the Undoing of the Second Reconstruction (University of North Carolina Press, 1999). read online
- How to Determine Intent: Lessons from L.A. (1990) read online
- Dead End: The Development of Litigation on Racial Discrimination in Schools in 19th Century America (Fair Lawn, N.J.: Oxford University Press, 1986). (The Development of Nineteenth-century Litigation on Racial Discrimination in Schools : an Inaugural Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford on 28 February 1985) read online
- Region, Race, and Reconstruction: Essays in Honor of C. Vann Woodward (New York: Oxford University Press, 1982), co-edited with James M. McPherson. read online
- The Shaping of Southern Politics: Suffrage Restriction and the Establishment of the One-Party South, 1880-1910 (Yale University Press, 1974; Paperback, 1976). Amazon.com
- Voting rights in the United States
- National Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Disfranchisement after the American Civil War
- Race in the United States
- J. Morgan Kousser at the California Institute of Technology