J. N. Arumugam
|J. N. Arumugam
|Born||23 February 1896|
|Alma mater||Jaffna Central College
Ceylon Technical College
Arumugam was born on 23 February 1896. He was from Katkovalam near Point Pedro in northern Ceylon. He was educated at Jaffna Central College. He then studied science at Ceylon Technical College. After passing the inter science examination he went to the UK on a scholarship. There, in December 1921, he joined the Ceylon Civil Service.
Arumugam married a daughter of Muttucumaru and, following her death, Lilly Chelliah.
Arumugam held several civil service positions in Ceylon and was a leading magistrate in Colombo. He became Petrol Controller in 1941 and Commissioner of Motor Transport in 1946. He was later Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Transport and Works.
Arumugam died in the 1960s after retirement.
Joseph Nalliah Arumugam Memorial Award
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon. p. 14.
- "Gooneratne v Mahadeva". LawNet.
- "Silverline Bus Company Ltd v Kandy Omnibus Company Ltd". LawNet.
- "Fourth Supplement" (PDF). The London Gazette (39107): 43. 29 December 1950.
- "Joseph Nalliah Arumugam Memorial Award". University of Colombo.