J. Neil Schulman
J. Neil Schulman
|Born||Joseph Neil Schulman|
April 16, 1953
Forest Hills, Queens, New York City, U.S.
|Died||August 10, 2019 (aged 66)|
Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.
|Period||20th century, 21st century|
|Genre||Libertarian science fiction, comedy.|
|Literary movement|||
C. S. Lewis
Samuel Edward Konkin III
|Part of a series on|
in the United States
Joseph Neil Schulman (//; April 16, 1953 – August 10, 2019) was an American novelist who wrote Alongside Night (published 1979) and The Rainbow Cadenza (published 1983) which both received the Prometheus Award, a libertarian science fiction award. His third novel, Escape from Heaven, was also a finalist for the 2002 Prometheus Award. His fourth and last novel, The Fractal Man, was a finalist for the 2019 Prometheus Award.
Schulman was born in Forest Hills, Queens on April 16, 1953. He was the author of nine other books currently[when?] in print, including a short story collection, Nasty, Brutish, and Short Stories, Stopping Power: Why 70 Million Americans Own Guns, and The Robert Heinlein Interview and Other Heinleiniana.
Schulman was the writer, director, executive producer (along with Nichelle Nichols) of the movie, Lady Magdalene's which was produced by Schulman's own company Jesulu Productions. The movie won three film-festival awards: "Best Cutting Edge Film" at the 2008 San Diego Black Film Festival, "Audience Choice – Feature-Length Narrative Film" at the 2008 Cinema City International Film Festival held on the Universal Hollywood Citywalk, and "Special Jury Prize for Libertarian Ideals" at the 2011 Anthem Film Festival/FreedomFest held at Bally's Las Vegas.
In 2013, Schulman completed production on a feature-film of Alongside Night, starring Kevin Sorbo, Jake Busey, Tim Russ, Garrett Wang, Mara Marini, and Gary Graham. The movie premiered in 2014 and had a limited theatrical release. It was released for streaming on iTunes, Amazon Video and Amazon Prime and as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
Schulman was a known proponent of the anarchist philosophy agorism, which was developed by Samuel Edward Konkin III. Though originally a supporter of the War on Terror, he was opposed to U.S. military occupations or operations in the Middle East. Schulman also supported free trade and was against tariffs.
Schulman is author of:
- Self Control Not Gun Control (Synapse-Centurion, 1995; Pulpless.Com 1999)
- Profile in Silver and Other Screenwritings (Pulpless.Com, 1999)
- The Frame of the Century? (Pulpless.Com, 1999)
- The Heartmost Desire (Pulpless.Com, 2013)
- Unchaining the Human Heart – A Revolutionary Manifesto (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- I Met God – God without Religion, Scripture, or Faith (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- Atheist to Believer (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- J. Neil Schulman's The Book of Words (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- The Fractal Man (Steve Heller Publishing, 2018)
- Origitent: Why Original Content Is Property (Steve Heller Publishing, 2018)
- Alongside Night (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- The Rainbow Cadenza (Pulpless.Com, 2017)
- Why Original Content Is Property – Kindle edition by J. Neil Schulman, Wendy McElroy, Samuel Edward Konkin III, Stephan Kinsella, Steve Heller.
- "2019 Prometheus Award Finalists". Apr 8, 2019. Retrieved Aug 12, 2019.
- "Summary Bibliography: J. Neil Schulman".
- "Books by J. Neil Schulman".
- Schulman, J. Neil (June 1999). Profile in Silver: And Other Screenwritings. Pulpless.Com. ISBN 978-1-58445-102-0.
- "J. Neil Schulman (1953-2019)". August 12, 2019.
- Lady Magdalene's at IMDb
- "Cinema City International Film Festival Review – A Savior of Short Films – Splash Magazines – Los Angeles".
- Alongside Night (2014) at IMDb
- "Alongside Night – Laemmle.com". www.laemmle.com.
- "Alongside Night". www.tugg.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- "Alongside Night Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack: Kevin Sorbo, Christian Kramme, Reid Cox, Said Faraj, Jake Busey, Tim Russ, Garrett Wang, Gary Graham, Eric Colton, Sam Sorbo, Mara Marini, Valence Thomas, J. Neil Schulman, Austin Petersen, J. Kent Hastings, Kevin Latchford, Mark Gilvary: Movies & TV". Retrieved 2019-08-12.
- J. Neil Schulman (October 16, 2012). "A/U: The Agorist Two-Tiered Strategy". Agorist.com. Retrieved July 18, 2021.
- J. Neil Schulman (March 9, 2010). "J. Neil Schulman on War". Agorist.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- J. Neil Schulman (May 14, 2019). "Tariffs". Agorist.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- "Amazon.com search for J. Neil Schulman". www.amazon.com.
- J. Neil Schulman (Author) (24 May 2018). The Fractal Man eBook: J. Neil Schulman: Kindle Store. Retrieved 2019-08-12.
- Origitent: Why Original Content Is Property – Kindle edition by J. Neil Schulman, Wendy McElroy, Samuel Edward Konkin III, Stephan Kinsella, Steve Heller. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @. Retrieved 2019-08-12.