J. P. McCaskey High School
|J. P. McCaskey High School|
|Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||School District of Lancaster|
|Color(s)||Red and black
J. P. McCaskey High School is a public high school located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States. Located on the east side of Lancaster, it is named after John Piersol McCaskey, a local educator. The McCaskey campus consists of two buildings: J.P. McCaskey, which is usually referred to either as "JPM" or simply "JP"; and McCaskey East, which is referred to as "East". Also on the McCaskey campus are a number of playing fields (for soccer, baseball, softball, and field hockey), tennis courts, and a stadium. Nearby are Wickersham Elementary School and Lincoln Middle School.
John Piersol McCaskey High School opened on May 3, 1938, accepting Lancaster city's first gender-integrated class of students. The high school was named for John McCaskey, a local educator, composer, and politician.
The construction is a product of the post-Depression Works Progress Administration. While the main building was subsequently extended, the original façade, lobby, and auditorium are set in Art Deco style.
- Jennifer Gareis (1988), actress
- Lamar Patterson, National Basketball Association (NBA) player and second round draft pick
- Kathleen Peterson, business executive who died possibly as a result of an owl attack
- Samuel Sweeney Donnellon, current GM employee, 2014-2015 Ohio State Intramural Basketball Champion
- "Meet the Superintendent". School District of Lancaster. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- "High School Campus". School District of Lancaster. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- "Welcome to McCaskey East Online". School District of Lancaster. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- McCaskey, Patrick (2013-05-05). "J.P. McCaskey remembered on anniversary". Lancaster Online. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Jennifer Gareis '93". Franklin and Marshall College Athletics. 2016-10-27. Retrieved 2016-12-29.