J. R. Heffner
|J. R. Heffner|
Heffner's No. 74 modified race car in 2015 at the Orange County (NY) Fairgrounds
|Born||March 11, 1972|
Stephentown, New York
|NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series career|
|4 races run over 3 years|
|Truck no., team||No. 15 (Premium Motorsports)|
|Best finish||52nd (2014)|
|First race||2014 Mudsummer Classic (Eldora)|
|Last race||2018 Eldora Dirt Derby (Eldora)|
|Statistics current as of July 18, 2018.|
J. R. Heffner (born March 11, 1972) is an American professional dirt track and stock car racing driver. He currently competes part-time in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, driving the No. 15 Chevrolet Silverado for Premium Motorsports.
Heffner's interest in racing started at the age of five, when he and his parents attended races at Lebanon Valley Speedway. In his teen years, he raced three-wheelers and eventually started racing in Lebanon Valley's Sportsman's Division, winning the championship in 1990. He moved up to the big block Modified division, winning his first race in the division in 1994. In 1997, he acquired sponsorship from A. Colarusso & Sons, a highway construction firm. Heffner and Colarusso would develop a longtime relationship, with Heffner joining the company in 2003 and becoming the Vice President of Operations.
In 2007, Heffner made his debut in the ARCA Re/Max Series at Daytona International Speedway for DGM Racing, where he finished 35th after crashing. From 2007 to 2011, he ran eight ARCA races, with his last start being at Lucas Oil Raceway. His best finish in the series is 14th at Kentucky Speedway in 2009.
In 2013, Heffner entered the Camping World Truck Series' Mudsummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, the first dirt track race in a NASCAR national series since 1970. In the event, Heffner qualified eighth and finished second in his heat race to Ken Schrader, but was relegated to the Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ). Despite starting first, he lost his fourth gear and retired from the LCQ, finishing last after completing just one lap and failing to make the Feature. The following year, Heffner made the feature after finishing fourth in his heat, finishing 18th in the final. Heffner also ran the Truck race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, finishing 23rd after crashing on lap 137. Heffner skipped the 2015 race at Eldora due to the race clashing with his schedule at Lebanon Valley, loaning the truck to Bobby Pierce, who finished second. In 2016, Heffner returned to Eldora, driving the No. 44 for Martins Motorsports. After winning his heat race from the pole to start fourth in the feature, he finished 15th. A year later, Heffner crashed during practice and with no backup, he withdrew from the race.
Heffner would return to the Dirt Derby in 2018, securing a ride with Premium Motorsports. He qualified for the main event by finishing fourth in his heat race, and finished 24th in the feature after fading from a top 15 position late with handling problems.
Motorsports career results
(key) (Bold – Pole position awarded by qualifying time. Italics – Pole position earned by points standings or practice time. * – Most laps led.)
Camping World Truck Series
|NASCAR Camping World Truck Series results|
* Season still in progress
1 Ineligible for series points
- Martin, Tim (September 6, 2015). "'Mr. Dirt Track' JR Heffner has seen it all". River Chronicle. Columbia-Greene Media. Retrieved July 14, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "J.R. Heffner Among Daytona Testers". ARCA Racing Series. December 19, 2007. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- "2007 ARCA 200 at Daytona". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Caraviello, David (July 18, 2013). "Bloomquist leads list of dirt aces at Eldora". NASCAR. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "2009 Click It or Ticket Buckle-Up Kentucky 150". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Bruce, Kenny (July 23, 2013). "Richard Petty recalls NASCAR dirt race". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "NASCAR Eldora 2013: Austin Dillon holds off Kyle Larson to win NASCAR's return to dirt". SB Nation. July 25, 2013. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Allaway, Phil (June 19, 2016). "JR Heffner Partners with Martins Motorsports for Eldora". Frontstretch. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "2013 Mudsummer Classic Last Chance Qualifier". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Ryan, Nate (July 24, 2014). "Pay dirt: Darrell Wallace Jr. wins truck race at Eldora". USA Today. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Lautenschlager, Tyson (July 11, 2016). "Dirt Ringer J.R. Heffner Returns to Trucks at Eldora". OnPitRoad.com. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "2014 UNOH 175". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "2016 Aspen Dental Eldora Dirt Derby Heat Race #4". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "2016 Aspen Dental Eldora Dirt Derby". Racing-Reference. Retrieved July 29, 2016.