J80 sailing in Helsinki
|Crew||3 – 5|
|Draft||1.49 m (4 ft 11 in)|
|Hull weight||1,315 kg (2,899 lb)|
|LOA||8 m (26 ft)|
|LWL||6.71 m (22.0 ft)|
|Beam||2.51 m (8 ft 3 in)|
|Rig type||Fractional rig|
|Mast length||11.43 m (37.5 ft)|
|Mainsail area||17.42 m2 (187.5 sq ft)|
|Jib/genoa area||13.9 m2 (150 sq ft)|
|Spinnaker area||65 m2 (700 sq ft)|
The International J/80 is a fixed keel One-Design sportsboat certified for offshore sailing, normally crewed by 3 to 5 people. As well as its mainsail & headsail, the J/80 has a 65 m2 (700 sq ft) gennaker for downwind sailing, which when the wind rises over 15 knots gets the boat on the plane downwind.
With over 1300 J/80's worldwide, the J/80 is one of Europe's and North America's best selling sportsboats. Recognized by the ISAF, the International J/80 Class Association promotes activities and regattas worldwide. For class racing, sails are restricted to only a main, headsail and gennaker with total crew weight at 338.6 kg (746 lb) with no limit on crew numbers.
According to Sailing World Magazine, "The J/80 is easier to handle, less intimidating, safer and better suited for sailing offshore than other modern sport boats tested."
2007 two swedish guys (Andreas Granberg and Jens Utbult)crossed the Atlantic ocean in a J80.
The J/80 was designed by J/Boats' Rod Johnstone, and was designed to be a one-design sportsboat that was both easy to sail and safe, but capable of reaching 20 knots downwind.
The J/80 is the only sportsboat to be certified for Design Category 'B' of the EU Recreational Craft Directive, which means it can withstand waves that are 4 metres (13 ft) high and in winds up to 41 knots. This gives the J/80 a reputation of being a very well built boat for its size, capable of extreme weather conditions.
Due to the J/80 having an asymmetrical spinnaker with a retractable bowsprit, there is little clutter on the deck and in the cockpit, giving the crew more space and fewer tripping hazards on board.
La Rochelle, France
Pascal Abignoli Eric MARTI FRA Laurent ABIGNOLI FRA Xavier ROHART FRA
|USA 352||HAMMERTIME / SYNERGY USA 498
Ft. Worth, Texas, USA
|Synergy USA Jay Lutz|
|2004Stockholm SWE 56||Out of Space SWE Peder Arvefors|
|Volvo GBR Ruairidh Scott
Ben Field Anna Scott-ish Shane Hughes Giles Waterhouse
|Silva Dream Machine GBR 724
Kevin SPROUL GBR
|team sbab SWE 243
Mikael LINDQUIST SWE
|2006 Corpus Christi, TX, United States 34||L'Glide USA Glenn Darden|
|2007 La Trinité sur Mer, France 125||ECC Viviendas ESP Jose Maria Torcida|
|2008 Kiel, Baltic Sea 64||Nextel Engineering ESP Ignacio Camino|
|2009 Santander, Spain 134||Princesa Yaiza ESP Rayco Tabares|
|2010 Newport, United States 61||ECC Viviendas ESP Jose Maria Torcida|
|2011 Copenhagen, Denmark 67||Nextel Engineering ESP Ignacio Camino|
|2012 Dartmouth, UK 76||Nilfisk ESP José van der Ploeg|
|2013 Marseille, France 117||New territoriess RUS Hugo Rocha|
|2014 Annapolis, United States 32||Savasana USA Brian Keane|
|ESP 783 Hotel Princesa Yaiza
Rayco Tabares (ESP)
|ESP 1519 BRIBON-MOVISTAR||FRA 453 CO-PILOTES|
|2016 Sotogrande, Spain 48||Princesa Yaiza Rayco Tabares (ESP)|
|2017 Hamble GBR
|Princesa Yaiza Rayco Tabares (ESP)|
- "Sailing World Magazine J/80 Review". Sailing World Magazine. 2009-10-12.
- "J/80 World Championships 2008 - Results" (PDF). Kieler Yacht-Club. Retrieved 14 July 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "J/80 World Championship 2009 - Results". Real Club Marítimo de Santander. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "J/80 World Championships 2010 - Results". Ida Lewis Yacht Club. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "J/80 World Championships 2011 - Results" (PDF). Royal Danish Yachtclub & Dragør Sejlklub. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "J/80 World Championships 2012 - Overall Report". Becci Eplett, J80 UK Class Association. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "J/80 World Championships 2013 - Overall Report". FFVoile. Archived from the original on 16 July 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Clasificaciones Mundial J/80 2015". EL DIARIO MONTAÑES. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "J/80 Worlds 2016" (PDF). J80 Worlds 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "J/80 Worlds 2017". J80 Worlds 2016. Retrieved 8 Oct 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to J/80 (keelboat).|