|Motor retail group|
|Headquarters||Apperley Lane, Bradford|
Number of locations
|Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire|
|John Tordoff, CEO (2002-present)|
Number of employees
JCT600 Ltd is a privately owned franchise motor firm that operates primarily in the north of England, with 50 dealerships between Boston and Newcastle. The company represents 19 car marques, and in 2014 achieved a turnover of over £1billion.
The company was established in 1946 as Tordoff Motors, with one showroom that housed Standard and Triumph vehicles. Founded Jack Tordoff, a successful rally driver in the 1960s and 70s and winning the Circuit of Ireland Rally in 1973, built the business over 44 years before his son and current CEO, John Tordoff, took over in 2002. The elder Tordoff remains chairman.
The JCT600 company name came from the personal number plate of a Mercedes-Benz 600 that Jack Tordoff owned.
The company began to acquire Gilder Group dealer sites came in 2009, with York and Hull Audi joining the JCT600 group. In 2013, Gilder CEO Garry Scotting agreed to sell all but three Honda dealerships to John Tordoff thanks to an earlier agreement that JCT600 had first refusal should Scotting decide to sell.
The Office of Fair Trading investigated the acquisition under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002, to establish whether the merger would result in a substantial lessening of competition. Following a six-month investigation, OFT cleared JCT600 in September 2013, with the company acquiring nine sites housing SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. The move also saw the number of employees increase from 1,350 to over 1,800 across the group, and annual turnover exceed £900m.
The company had 47 sites in the north-east of England by 2013, rising to 50 in 2015.
The group currently represents:
- "JCT600 motors beyond the £1bn mark". Yorkshire Post. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Apperley Bridge firm in confident mood". Wharfedale and Airedale Observer. 15 December 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Company History". JCT600. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "TEAM JCT600 WITH GARDX LAUNCHED". BTCC. 23 March 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Sunday Times Rich List 2014: the 20 wealthiest people in Yorkshire". Huddersfield Daily Examiner. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "JCT600 adds £200m turnover with acquisition". Automotive Management. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "OFT to investigate JCT600 acquisition of Gilder Group". Automotive Management. 19 June 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Hutchinson, Curtis (17 September 2013). "OFT clears JCT600's Gilder acquisition". Motor Trader. Retrieved 16 January 2015.