|Builder:||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki, Nagasaki|
|Laid down:||7 April 1992|
|Launched:||19 August 1993|
|Commissioned:||16 March 1995|
|Class and type:||Kongō-class destroyer|
|Length:||528.2 ft (161.0 m)|
|Beam:||68.9 ft (21.0 m)|
|Draft:||20.3 ft (6.2 m)|
|Speed:||30 knots (56 km/h)|
|NOLQ-2 intercept / jammer|
|Aircraft carried:||1 × SH-60K helicopter|
In 2003 the Kirishima was deployed to the Indian Ocean as logistical support for US forces engaged in the War on Terror. This prompted some opposition including protests and boatloads of protesters attempting to block the ship from leaving its harbor at Yokosuka. It was later replaced in the deployment by the destroyer JS Kongō.
Appearance in the media
Featured in the music video "ナノ (nano) feat. MY FIRST STORY - SAVIOR OF SONG", the opening song for the anime "Arpeggio of Blue Steel - Ars Nova" of the manga series, 蒼き鋼のアルペジオ (Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio)
- Kelly, Tim Japan raises military profile in maritime war games with U.S. November 21, 2014 Japan Times Retrieved May 13, 2017
- McNeill, David Japanese activists rally to antiwar cry January 14, 2003 Japan Times Retrieved May 13, 2017
- Defense Agency to rotate Aegis ships April 4, 2003 Japan Times Retrieved May 13, 2017
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 January 2008. Retrieved 12 February 2008. "Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense to Third Japanese Destroyer" DefenseTalk. 16 January 2008
- Seawaves,"Warships Supporting Earthquake in Japan" Archived 23 March 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- PAC-3 deployment in Okinawa complete April 6, 2012 Japan Times Retrieved May 13, 2017
- RIA Novosti, "Japanese Warship Leaves Base Ahead of N.Korean Rocket Launch"
Media related to JS Kirishima (DDG-174) at Wikimedia Commons