Jdate was founded in 1997 by Alon Carmel and Joe Shapira. After the launch, membership grew rapidly by word of mouth in tight-knit Jewish communities. Because of the focus on relationships between Jewish singles, Jdate is considered a special-interest online dating site. Former CEO Adam Berger calls this type of service "niche" dating.
Members can mark their Jewish affiliation on their profile. Options include Conservadox, Conservative, Hasidic, Orthodox (Modern, Baal Teshuva and Frum), Reconstructionist, Reform, and ''Culturally Jewish.'' Members can also select options like “Willing to Convert.”
Individuals do not have to be Jewish in order to join Jdate. While Jdate is oriented towards the Jewish population, it has also attracted those seeking Jewish mates. The reasons cited often have to do with perceived cultural traits, whether stereotypical or true: "nice" or wealthy Jewish men who treat women well; take-charge, and independent Jewish women who hold on to tradition. While many Jdate members respond in kind, others view the phenomenon as an intrusion that defeats the purpose of the site.
Jdate members have the option to seek heterosexual and/or homosexual relationships on the site. Profiles include options like "men seeking men" and "women seeking women" to help users connect with their desired matches.
Famous past/present Jdate users include:
- Steve Rothman, American politician, U.S. House of Representatives, from New Jersey
- Brad Sherman, American politician, U.S. House of Representatives from California
- Jesse McCartney, American Musician 
In 2013, the company authorized the repurchase of $5 million of its outstanding common stock as a reflection of confidence in the long-term business.
On November 2, 2017, Spark Networks SE (NYSE American: LOV) announced the successful completion of the previously announced merger of Spark Networks, Inc. and Affinitas GmbH in a stock-for-stock transaction. 
- Hill, Logan. "At ChristianMingle and JDate, God's Your Wingman". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "'Niche' Singles Sites Claim Success". ABC News. 2013-03-01. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "JDate | The Webby Awards". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "JDate Launches New App, Making It Easier Than Ever to 'Get Chosen' - Spark Networks". 2014-11-10. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Richards, Sarah E. (2004-12-05). "You Don't Have to Be Jewish to Love JDate". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- "GLOBAL DATING COMPANY, SPARK NETWORKS, EXPANDS PRIMARY U.S. BRANDS GLOBALLY | Spark Networks, Inc. – IR Site". Spark Networks, Inc. – IR Site. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- Rothstein, Betsy. "Dude, with those pipes ya shouldn't need Jdate". The Hill. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "D-CA ISO…". Wonkette. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Celebrities on JDate".
- "Spark Networks – Contact Us". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Spark Networks, Inc. Announces $5 Million Stock Repurchase Program". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Spark Networks and EliteSingles Complete Merger | Spark Networks, Inc. – IR Site". Spark Networks, Inc. – IR Site. Retrieved 2018-09-26.