Melvin Seals and JGB, 2008
|Also known as||Melvin Seals and JGB|
|Labels||House of Blues, Blues Planet|
|Associated acts||Jerry Garcia Band|
As noted in Rolling Stone, "... when Garcia died in 1995, and the Grateful Dead went on hiatus, Seals took charge. Under his leadership, the slightly renamed 'JGB Band' pays tribute to Garcia by performing his songs and remaining faithful to his style."
In 1996, Seals played several concerts with Jerry Garcia Band bassist John Kahn and other former members of that band. Their idea was to continue playing the same music with everyone except Garcia himself. However, Kahn died three weeks later, and Seals and the others continued without him. The membership of JGB has continued to evolve over the years.
On July 30, 2004, Melvin Seals was the first Jerry Garcia Band member to headline an outdoor music and camping festival named in honor of Jerry Garcia, called Grateful Garcia Gathering. Jerry Garcia Band drummer David Kemper joined Melvin Seals & JGB in 2007. To date, other musicians playing with JGB have included Donna Jean Godchaux, Mookie Siegel, Pete Sears, G. E. Smith, Barry Sless, Ozzie Ahlers and Robin Sylvester.
- Welcome to Our World (For Members Only) – 1998
- Keepers of the Flame – 2006
- Melvin Seals at AllMusic. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Bothner, David (February 26, 1997). "Garcia Band Carries On for Music's Sake", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Eisen, Benjy (March 23, 2005). "Seals Moves Past Garcia", Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Metzger, John (July 1998). "Backstage Pass: An Interview with Melvin Seals" The Music Box. Retrieved March 13, 2012.