A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Other names||The Asian Playboy|
|Occupation||Dating coach, entrepreneur|
|Known for||Pickup Artist, ABCs of Attraction|
Jerry Tran, sometimes credited as JT Tran or The Asian Playboy, is a dating coach and pickup artist as well as dating advice columnist for LA Weekly and Baller Magazine. He is also the founder, CEO and lead instructor of a company that offers pickup artist courses to men.
Tran introduced the concept of the ABCDEF structure which incorporates three main components, namely: thoughts, actions, and words. The concept teaches men how to develop their attitudes, change the manner of their dress, and convey sexuality while courting and dating women. Tran mainly teaches shy Asian men confidence and communication skills.
Tran and his company have featured on the front pages of AsianWeek and Nguoi Viet Daily News, as well as other newspapers such as The Harvard Crimson where he was the featured guest speaker at the Harvard University event "Between the (Pickup) Lines", D Magazine, Hyphen Magazine and a featured interview with Yale Daily News.
Tran spoke at Yale for Master's Tea and was featured in The Yale Herald. He has also been a featured guest speaker for the University of Chicago. In February 2012, Tran visited the Wharton School of Business at University of Pennsylvania to talk about various cultural issues and why he decided to become a "relationship guru".
In March 2012, Tran held a live interview with Juju Chang on ABC's Nightline, who compared him with the likes of Jeremy Lin, John Cho, Harry Shum, Jr., and Daniel Dae Kim. He talked about how he failed with the ladies in the past, mostly due to typical Asian stereotypes of having "good grades but poor social skills," yet he became successful later by "applying his systematic engineering skills to dating" and these are the skills he teaches men at ABCs of Attraction today. To prove that his methods, the TV crew followed Tran during the lecture and later out into the field live and unstaged.
Tran was also profiled by Channel News Asia in Singapore, the Huffington Post and Voice of America News TV in China, which followed JT Tran and his team on the entire bootcamp process. The Awl news reporter, Sharon Adarlo, who first criticized ABCs of Attraction's methods, joined in on a bootcamp and wrote on how her opinion had changed after the experience. In 2015, Tran and pickup artist Andrew Chen of ABCs of Attraction were featured on Al Jazeera America, in a segment titled "Are Pickup Artists Misogynists or Gentlemen?" where Tran was compared with other pickup artists.
- "After Dark - Author JT Tran". LA Weekly. Archived from the original on 2011-03-12.
- "Contributors". Baller Magazine.
- Article: "Proselytizing the Game", AsianWeek, February 8, 2008. Archived February 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "New Year, New Friends", Nguoi Viet Daily News, December 31, 1999
- The Asian Playboy Defies Stereotypes, article by Flash News, published April 2009 
- Cover Page of AsianWeek Magazine
- "Reading Between the Pickup Lines", The Harvard Crimson, February 18, 2010. [httpc://www.thecrimson.com/article/2010/2/18/jt-event-asian-pickup/]
- "J.T. Tran: Playboy, entrepreneur artist, love guru", Yale Daily News, February 11, 2011
- Yang, Wesley (May 8, 2011). "Paper Tigers: What happens to all the Asian-American overachievers when the test-taking ends?". New York Times. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Rastogi, Nina Shen (May 10, 2011). "A Response to Wesley Yang's "Paper Tigers"". Slate. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Bullblog tip-off: get picked up at "The Asian Playboy" Master’s Tea", The Yale Herald, February 9, 2011
- Pei, Annie. "Playing the (Asian) Dating Game". Her Campus. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "University of Chicago Speech". Youtube - ABCs of attraction channel. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- Rosa, George (10 February 2012). "Asian Playboy talks about his career as a professional Casanova". The Daily Pennsylvanian. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Chang, Juju (2 March 2012). "'Asian Playboy' Teaches Asian Men to Get Over Racial Stereotypes, Build Confidence". ABC News. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "'Asian Playboy' JT Tran's First Date Rules". ABC News. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Asian Playboy Smashes Stereotypes on ABC Nightline". Nightline. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "The Date Doctor". NU Asian. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- Sherbert, Erin (May 31, 2012). "Professional Pick Up Artist Disappointed in SceneTap's Ability to Help Him Score Chicks". Verge Magazine. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Singapore's Pickup Artist & Dating Coaching Bootcamp". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Shigematsu, Tetsuro. "The Asian Playboy, Pickup Artist or Social Justice Activist?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Inside a Chinese PUA Bootcamp on VOA TV". Voice of America. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Adarlo, Sharon. "Is This Pickup Artist Actually… Helping People?". The Awl. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Are Pickup Artists Misogynists or Gentlemen? Julien Blanc vs JT Tran Compared [Al Jazeera America]". Retrieved 3 January 2015.