|Type||Private (LVMH minority stake)|
|Jonathan Anderson (creative director)|
JW Anderson is a British fashion label, founded by Jonathan Anderson. Anderson lived in Northern Ireland during his youth before establishing JW Anderson in 2008 and subsequently launched his fashion house in London. The brand initially focused on menswear, before moving into womenswear in 2010. From 2012 onwards, the brand and its designer have collaborated with a number of retail fashion brands, most notably Topshop and Versace with LVMH acquiring a minority stake in the brand in 2013.
Jonathan Anderson graduated from the London College of Fashion, before initially pursuing a career in acting. While working at the Studio Theatre in Washington D.C., he became interested in costume design and went on to study a degree in menswear design, graduating in 2005. He worked as visual merchandiser at Prada, working alongside the designer, Manuela Pavesi. Anderson moved to London to establish his eponymous label in 2008.
JW Anderson launched a menswear line in 2008. It later introduced a womenswear line for autumn 2010. During the same year, JW Anderson received sponsorship from the British Fashion Council committee, presenting their first catwalk collection at London Fashion Week. JW Anderson secured its second sponsorship from the British Fashion Council in 2011, before winning the Emerging Talent Award in 2012.
JW Anderson became more widely known in Britain after Anderson collaborated with Topshop in 2012 creating a limited edition collection of clothing and accessories. Vogue covered the brand's spring/summer collection that same year, including paisley-print daywear pyjamas, which sold out shortly after launch. During London Fashion Week in 2012, JW Anderson announced it was to host its first menswear-dedicated fashion week show. JW Anderson and Topshop collaborated again in early 2013.
In June 2013, Anderson showcased his first collection for Versace. The collection was for their diffusion line, Versus, with Anderson as the line's relaunch designer. Part of JW Anderson's focus was on unisex clothes. It was also rumoured at the same time that LVMH were considering Anderson for the role of creative director at Louis Vuitton. It was announced in September 2013 that LVMH had acquired a minority stake in JW Anderson. As part of the deal, Anderson was announced as creative director of the Spanish fashion house, Loewe.
Taking inspiration from the Omega Workshops, JW Anderson announced it would be launching its own workshops in Shoreditch, London. Formerly known as the JW Anderson Workshops, it was created to merge an exhibition experience within a store.
The workshops housed a number of collections and collaborations throughout 2016, including with A$AP Rocky, M/M Paris, Printed Matter, Inc, Mackintosh, Giles Round, and photographers Jamie Hawkesworth, Ian David Baker, and Alasdair McLellan.
JW Anderson announced their first exhibition in September 2016, Disobedient Bodies at The Hepworth Wakefield from March to June 2017. The show aimed to create discussion on the theme of the body, specifically how each body part can disobey the body. More than 100 works were presented at the exhibition, including Issey Miyake and Yves Saint Laurent.
Awards and honors
- 2014: Menswear brand of the Year, British Fashion Council.
- 2015: Menswear Brand of the Year and Womenswear brand of the Year awards, British Fashion Council. The first brand to win both awards in the same year.
- Fury, Alex (November 15, 2015). "British Fashion Awards 2015: JW Anderson wins menswear and womenswear designer of the year". The Independent.
- Van Meter, William (February 13, 2016). "Jonathan Anderson Shares the Inspirations Behind His Brand and Loewe". Wall Street Journal.
- "Jonathan Anderson's Live Mosaic". Business of Fashion.
- "JW Anderson". British Fashion Council.
- Sowray, Bibby (June 13, 2012). "Topshop announce JW Anderson collaboration". The Telegraph.
- Alexander, Ella (September 4, 2012). "JW Anderson For Topshop". Vogue.
- Moss, Hilary (September 4, 2012). "First Looks: J.W. Anderson for Topshop". NY Magazine.
- Alexander, Ella (February 1, 2013). "JW Anderson For Topshop Take Two". Vogue.
- Fox, Imogen (June 13, 2012). "JW Anderson to launch Topshop range". The Guardian.
- "The end of gender in fashion?". Hit-Bag. October 4, 2013.
- Cochrane, Lauren (May 16, 2013). "Versace unveils first Versus collection by JW Anderson in New York". The Guardian.
- "Exclusive: LVMH considers creative director change at Louis Vuitton". Reuters. July 20, 2016.
- Milligan, Lauren (September 25, 2013). "JW Anderson Joins LVMH And Will Helm Loewe". Vogue.
- Neate, Rupert (September 26, 2013). "LVMH buys stake in fashion label JW Anderson". The Guardian.
- Remsen, Mick (June 9, 2016). "Up Close and Personal With Jonathan Anderson and A$AP Rocky's New Collab". Vogue.
- Périer, Marie (January 22, 2016). "JW Anderson launches workshops in London". Vogue.
- Guisset, Brune (September 22, 2016). "The collab: M/M Paris for JW Anderson Workshops". Vogue.
- Scheier, Matthew (June 8, 2016). "Jonathan Anderson Taps ASAP Rocky, Fan Turned Collaborator". NY Times.
- Périer, Marie (May 23, 2016). "Obsession of the day: The Mackintosh x JW Anderson trench coat". Vogue.
- Moss, Victoria (September 18, 2016). "Reign of glory: how British heritage house Mackintosh took the catwalks by storm". Telegraph.
- Dubs, Thaïs (May 24, 2016). "JW Anderson Workshops and Giles Round recreate the Shiva vase". Vogue.
- "Jamie Hawkesworth at JW Anderson Workshops". BecauseLondon. November 29, 2016.
- Eckardt, Stephanie (March 26, 2016). "Get to Know Photographer Ian David Baker, J.W. Anderson's Latest Collaborator". W.
- Sauvalle, Julien (January 9, 2017). "Daily Crush: J.W. Anderson's 'Paolo' T-Shirt by Alasdair McLellan". Out.
- Lessard, Hugo (January 29, 2016). "J.W Anderson workshop and Luis Venegas publication to co-release a mystery book". Vogue.
- Radnor, Abigail (March 10, 2017). "'It is quite petrifying': designer JW Anderson on his first exhibition". The Guardian.
- Menkes, Suzy (March 17, 2017). "Disobedient Bodies". Vogue.