|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"A great offer for everyone"
|Founded||2 April, 1979
Aarhus, Central Denmark, Denmark
Number of employees
|app. 18,500 (2014)|
Jysk (corporately styled JYSK) (Danish: [ˈjysɡ̊], franchises in other countries operate under various names) is a Danish retail chain, selling household goods such as mattresses, furniture and interior décor. Jysk is the largest Danish retailer operating internationally, with 2,300 Jysk stores in 41 countries.
Jysk was founded by Lars Larsen, who opened the first store on Silkeborgvej in the Danish city Aarhus in 1979. The retail chain is still owned by Larsen, who is one of Denmark's richest people, although in some countries the chain operates on a franchise basis. The logo displays a goose.
- 1979: On 2 April, the world's first Jysk Sengetøjslager opens in Aarhus, Denmark, where it still operates today.
- 1980: The company's first advertising supplement is released.
- 1984: Jysk Sengetøjslager opens its first store outside the country - Dänisches Bettenlager in Germany.
- 1984: Jysk Franchise opens its first store in Greenland.
- 1986: Lars Larsen becomes partner of Himmerland Golf & Country Club.
- 1986: Jysk Franchise opens its first store in Faroe Islands.
- 1987: Jysk expands to Iceland and opens a store in Kópavogur.
- 1989: Jysk Sengetøjslager becomes main sponsor of the Danish Disabled Athletics Association and remains its main sponsor. Later Jysk also becomes the main sponsor for disabled sports associations in Norway and Sweden. Jysk also supports disabled sports in Canada, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Faroe Islands and Iceland.
- 1992: Jysk Sengetøjslager's two-year trainee course commences in Strandby near the Liim Fiord in Denmark. Approximately 200 trainees complete the course every year.
- 1998: Lars Larsen celebrates his 50th birthday and his company celebrates the opening of store number 500.
- 1999: Jysk Sengetøjslager co-founds the Tropical Forest Trust, which works to secure the tropical rain forests. The trust now has more than 80 members worldwide.
- 2000: Lars Larsen becomes the majority shareholder of the Internet-based furniture company www.bolia.com, which now has showrooms in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany and China.
- 2001: The stores in Denmark, Sweden and Finland change their name from Jysk Sengetøjslager, Jysk Bäddlager and Jysk Vuodevarasto to Jysk.
- 2001: Jysk receives the Gift to the Earth award from the World Wildlife Fund for its work with the Tropical Forest Trust, which Jysk co-founded in 1999.
- 2004: Jysk celebrates its 25th anniversary, and Lars Larsen sends out 2.4 million copies of his autobiography to all Danish households.
- 2006: Lars Larsen has a street named after him.[where?]
- 2007: Lars Larsen receives King Frederik IX's Honorary Award which is presented by His Royal Highness Prince Henrik in recognition of Lars Larsen's valuable contribution to Danish export.
- 2008: Jysk Nordic opens Northern Europe's largest warehouse in Uldum in Mid-Jutland. The warehouse now has an area of 64,000 m2.
- 2008: Jysk opens its first stores in the United Kingdom. Mansfield and Lincoln opened in April, then Blackburn and York opened in the summer.
- 2009: Jysk celebrates its 30th anniversary and launches an interactive story about the history of the company.
- 2010: Jysk is granted a royal warrant of appointment as a purveyor to the Queen of Denmark.
- 2010: Jysk’s staff magazine 'GO JYSK' wins several awards - as staff magazine 2010 in Denmark and as the second best staff magazine in Europe.
- 2011: Jysk launches its own TV-channel on www.jysk.tv.
- 2011: Lars Larsen is ranked as the 304th richest person in the world by the American business magazine Forbes, which calculates Lars Larsen's assets at $3.6 billion.
- 2013: Jysk has seven UK stores at Mansfield, Lincoln, Blackburn, York, Bolton, Swadlincote and Coventry. It plans to open an additional store at Pontefract in August and two more, at Bournemouth and Grantham in September.[when?]
- 2014-2015: Jysk opens a store in Mall Taman Anggrek and Pejaten Village in Jakarta, Indonesia.  Jysk continues to expand in Indonesia as the company opens four new stores at Margo City Depok, Kuningan City and Pluit Village in Jakarta, and Aeon Mall BSD City in Tangerang.
- 2016: Jysk opens its first Singapore stors at Tiong Bahru Plaza.
- 2016: Jysk opens two stores in Belarus
|Czech Republic||2003||76||Jysk Nordic|
|Great Britain||2008||14||Jysk Nordic|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||2010||17||Jysk Nordic|
- "Press Releases". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "The History of JYSK". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Peresmian JYSK Store Indonesia, Foto 5 - Tribun Images". Tribunnews.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "List of Tiong Bahru Plaza's stores". AsiaMalls Management Pte Ltd. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JYSK.|