Journal of Theoretical Biology
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|J. Theor. Biol.|
|Edited by||Denise Kirschner, Yoh Iwasa, Lewis Wolpert|
The Journal of Theoretical Biology is a biweekly peer-reviewed scientific journal covering theoretical biology, as well as mathematical and computational aspects of biology. Some research areas covered by the journal include cell biology, evolutionary biology, population genetics, morphogenesis, and immunology.
The journal was established in 1961. Its founding editor-in-chief was English biologist James F. Danielli, who remained editor until his death in 1984. The Journal of Theoretical Biology is published by Elsevier and, as of 2014[update], the editors-in-chief are Denise Kirschner (University of Michigan Medical School), Yoh Iwasa (Kyushu University), and Lewis Wolpert (University College London). According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2013 impact factor of 2.303.
Some of the most highly cited articles that have been published in the journal include:
- Hamilton, W.D. (1964). "The Genetical Evolution of Social Behaviour". Journal of Theoretical Biology 7 (1): 17–52. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(64)90039-6. PMID 5875340., a classic paper dealing with inclusive fitness
- Zuckerkandl, E.; Pauling, L. (1965). "Molecules as documents of evolutionary history". Journal of Theoretical Biology 8 (2): 357–366. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(65)90083-4. PMID 5876245., another classic paper, one of those which had set the stage for comparative molecular biology
- Zahavi, Amotz (1975). "Mate selection - a selection for a handicap". Journal of Theoretical Biology 53 (1): 205–14. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(75)90111-3. PMID 1195756.
- Kauffman, S.A. (1969). "Metabolic stability and epigenesis in randomly constructed genetic nets". Journal of Theoretical Biology 22 (3): 437–67. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(69)90015-0. PMID 5803332.
- Maynard Smith, J. (1974). "The theory of games and the evolution of animal conflicts". Journal of Theoretical Biology 47 (1): 209–21. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(74)90110-6. PMID 4459582.
|This article about a biology journal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about academic journals. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.