Jaak Uudmäe in 2018
|Born||September 3, 1954|
Jaak Uudmäe (born September 3, 1954) is a retired Estonian triple jumper and long jumper who competed for the Soviet Union. He was the gold medalist at the 1980 Summer Olympics. He set a personal best of 17.35 m (56 ft 11 in) in his Olympic victory – a mark which remains the Estonian record.
In 1979 and 1980 Uudmäe was acknowledged as Estonia's Sportsman of the Year. In 1980 Uudmäe's coach Jaan Jürgenson was nominated as the USSR Coach of the Year and Jaak himself as USSR Master Sportsman of the Year. He was the runner-up at the 1979 Soviet Spartakiad, behind Gennadiy Valyukevich.
His victory at the 1980 Summer Olympics was adjudicated by an all-Soviet panel. Some observers later claimed that the bronze medalist João Carlos de Oliveira and fifth-placer Ian Campbell both produced multiple jumps longer than Uudmäe's, though the Soviet judges ruled all these as fouls, to protestations from the athletes and questioning by several observers. Uudmäe's longest jump was also ruled as a foul. In 2015, Athletics Australia made a request to the International Association of Athletics Federations to investigate the matter and review the outcome.
|1977||European Indoor Championships||San Sebastián, Spain||2nd||Triple jump||16.46 m|
|1979||European Indoor Championships||Vienna, Austria||3rd||Triple jump||16.91 m|
|Universiade||Mexico City, Mexico||2nd||Triple jump||17.20 m|
|1980||Olympic Games||Moscow, Soviet Union||1st||Triple jump||17.35 m|
|European Indoor Championships||Sindelfingen, West Germany||2nd||Triple jump||16.51 m|
|1981||World Cup||Rome, Italy||4th||Triple jump||16.83 m|
|European Cup||Zagreb, Yugoslavia||1st||Triple jump||16.97 m|
|1983||European Indoor Championships||Budapest, Hungary||5th||Triple jump||16.56 m|
- Estonian Athletics Championships
- Triple jump: 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988
- Estonian Indoor Championships
- Triple jump: 1975, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1985
- Long jump: 1978
- Triple jump at the Olympics
- 100 great Estonians of the 20th century
- List of Estonian sportspeople
- List of Olympic medalists in athletics (men)
- List of European Athletics Indoor Championships medalists (men)
- Estonian records. EKJL. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Jaak Uudmäe: tippsport jääb üha enam fanaatikute pärusmaaks". EPL (in Estonian). 15 March 2010.
- "Jaak Joonas Uudmäe alistas kaugushüppes olümpiavõitjast isa rekordi". Delfi Sport (in Estonian). 22 April 2017.
- Dunaway, James (July 20, 2008). "In 1980, the Soviets Turned the Olympics Into the Games of Shame". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- Athletics at the 1980 Moskva Summer Games: Men's Triple Jump. Sports Reference. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Suomalainen näkökulma Moskovan olympiakisoihin sanomalehdistössä kesällä 1980" (PDF) (in Finnish). Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- Siukonen, Markku; et al. (1980). Urheilutieto 5 (in Finnish). Oy Scandia Kirjat Ab. pp. 363–364. ISBN 951-9466-20-7.
- Lane, Tim (August 18, 2013). "Cheating the only conclusion you can jump to". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- Australia demands probe of triple jump final at 1980 Games. Reuters (2015-07-25). Retrieved 2018-04-11.
| Estonian Sportsman of the Year
1979 – 1980