In 1971–1994 he worked as a deep-sea diver on a rescue ship. During this time he logged over 3,000 hours of diving time and recorded depths of up to 80 m.
He has climbed to the peak of over 150 mountains. Künnap received the Snow Leopard award in 1987. In 1999, a film was made about him with the same name (Lumeleopard; 1999). He was the president of the Tallinn Alpinism Club between 1983 and 1988 and since 1999 he has led the mountaineering club that bears his name.
He has climbed to the top of several seven-thousanders (and in the case of some of them, like Ismoil Somoni Peak, he has successfully summited several times). He has technically climbed over 8,000 m; however, he has not successfully reached the summit of an eight-thousander. During his climb of Cho Oyu, the eight-thousander he has climbed, he went above 8,000 m, but started coming down before reaching the top.
Künnap has participated in over 50 photography exhibitions and has reached the podium in numerous photography competitions. He has written two books and served as a camera operator for several documentaries. Since 1998, he has worked as a photographer for the Tallinn City Museum. He has also added thousands of photos to Wikimedia Commons and was selected as the best Wikiphotograper of the Year 2019 & 2020 in Estonia.
Paljassaare Harbour (1974)
Expedition to Tartu Ülikool 350 in 1982
Ismail Samani Peak in 1986
Baltic Way in Estonia (1989)
Descent from Korzhenevskaya (1990)
Kalju Suur in 1992
Keila Waterfall in 2007
Tuhala Witch's Well (2011)
Reef knot (2015)
- Matkaspordi käsiraamat, Jaan Künnapi Alpinismiklubi, 2004. ISBN 9949104122
- Fotograafia minu elus = Photography in my life, Jaan Künnapi Alpinismiklubi, 2013. ISBN 9789949309030
- Sõlmed ja pleisid, 2016. ISBN 9789949388738
- Künnap, Jaan ESBL. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Tammiksaar, Erki. "Climbing the Ararat 180 years after Parrot". www.uuseum.ut.ee. Tartu Ülikooli muuseum. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Snow Leopards". www.Firn.ee. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Andre Nõmm: "Teerajajast Lumeleopard". Go reisiajakiri, 2/2013
- Jaan Künnap / Filmograafia Eesti Filmi Andmebaas
- Ivo Kruusamägi: Eestikeelse Vikipeedia aasta fotograaf 2019: Jaan Künnap Wikimedia Eesti, 2019 (in Estonian)
- Ivo Kruusamägi: Jaan Künnap on eestikeelse Vikipeedia aasta fotograaf 2020 Wikimedia Eesti, 2020 (in Estonian)
- "Wejherowo - Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia". ww.RussianClimb.com. Archived from the original on December 10, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Riiklike autasude andmine Riigi Teataja, RTL 2001, 18, 252
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jaan Künnap.|