He is known for his Hittite Etymological Dictionary. Currently (as of 2014), the dictionary has progressed to words beginning with PE, PI, PU, in nine volumes. Since volume 5 (2001), the project complements the Chicago Hittite Dictionary, which began with letter L in 1980, and which has covered L, M, N, P, S. Letters still missing between the two projects are thus R, T and Z (see Hittite cuneiform). Puhvel has been characterized as one of the world's most notable Hittitologists.
- 1987, Comparative Mythology, The Johns Hopkins University Press, ISBN 978-0-8018-3938-2.
- Hittite Etymological Dictionary (Berlin, New York, Amsterdam; 1984– )
- 1984, Vol. 1 (A)
- 1984, Vol. 2 (E, I)
- 1991, Vol. 3 (H)
- 1997, Vol. 4 (K)
- 2001, Vol. 5 (L)
- 2004, Vol. 6 (M)
- 2007, Vol. 7 (N)
- 2011, Vol. 8 (PA)
- 2013, Vol. 9 (PE, PI, PU)
- 1991, Homer and Hittite
- Bulletin of Baltic studies (No. 1-8), Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies, 1970, p. 26
- Jaan Puhvel otsib kiilkirjast indoeuroopa keelepuu juuri
|This biography of a United States linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|