Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na
|Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abbas Tyrewala|
|Produced by||Mansoor Khan
|Written by||Abbas Tyrewala|
|Music by||A. R. Rahman|
|Edited by||Shan Mohammed|
|Distributed by||PVR Pictures
UTV Motion Pictures
|4 July 2008|
|Box office||₹832 million|
Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na (translation: Whether you know... or not) is a 2008 Indian coming of age romantic comedy film, written and directed by Abbas Tyrewala. The film stars Imran Khan and Genelia D'Souza in pivotal roles. Produced by Mansoor Khan, Aamir Khan, it marks the directional debut of Abbas Tyrewala, the debut of Imran Khan (Aamir Khan's nephew) and Prateik Babbar as actors, and the re-appearance of D'Souza in Hindi cinema. Released on 4 July 2008, the film received positive reviews, and was successful at the box office. The music is by A. R. Rahman.
The story begins as a flash back in an airport, when .... Jiggy (Nirav Mehta), Rotlu (Karan Makhija), Sandhya (Alishka Varde), and Shaleen (Sugandha Garg) offer to tell Mala (Renuka Kunzru), the unique love story of Jai and Aditi.....
Meet Jai (Imran Khan), the most non-violent Rajput ever.
Meet Aditi (Genelia D'Souza), a.k.a. ‘Meow‘, a highly aggressive, impulsive girl. She abuses and scratches people (hence the name Meow).
Despite their differences, Jai and Aditi are college-going best buddies.
Jai and Aditi are perfect for each other. Their friends know this. Their parents know this. Everybody but the two themselves know this.
Aditi dreams of a virile, macho husband, while Jai wants a sweet, romantic girl. Since the two of them don't believe that they are in love, after finishing their college they start to hunt for a perfect life partner.
Jai falls in love with Meghna (Manjari Phadnis) in a club where two rough boys( psychos )were misbehaving with her. He rescues her cleverly, not by fighting but by tricking the two psychos , thus winning Meghna's heart.
When Meghna and Jai get close to each other, Rotlu, Jiggy, Sandhya and Shaleen are happy , but nobody notices that Aditi is missing Jai's company...
Meghna informs Jai that her parents squabble but cannot live without each other. .. Jai visits Meghna's parents and sees that her father is an alcoholic and while Jai goes to meet Meghna's parents, he misses Aditi's surprise birthday party, whereby Aditi's feelings are hurt by his absence...
Anyway, later ,feeling deserted, Aditi gets engaged to her father's friend's son, Sushant Modi (Ayaz Khan). She sees in him the macho man she always wanted. However, Sushant is also a spoilt playboy. Aditi's brother, Amit (Prateik Babbar), tries to make her see who Sushant really is but Aditi thinks that Jai loves Meghna and continues her relationship with Sushant.
At Jiggy's birthday bash, Aditi introduces her fiance to everyone and then everbody dances to music, but she feels jealous when she sees Jai dancing with Meghna, and Jai is upset that Aditi is engaged to Sushant. and then in the middle of the dance, Sushant thinks Aditi is crying because she likes him and kisses her. When Jai sees Sushant kissing Aditi, he stops dancing abruptly. Meghna tries to cheer him up, but it just results him in becoming more angry,so he shouts at Meghna..
Meghna breaks down and tells Jai about her parents break up and extra marital affair which has affected her psychologically. The next day,Jai breaks up with Meghna whereby she is shattered and leaves with a goodbye kiss.
As for Aditi, she is under duress from Sushant, who slaps her on her face, leaving a bruise and she tells Sushant she wants to break the engagement and go to NY to study alone (secretly wanting to return to Jai). Aditi breaks up with him and decides to go to the USA to study film-making at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. When she meets Jai he spots the bruise on Aditi's face and contrary to his usual non-violent nature, he thrashes Sushant for daring to lay a hand on her.
Inspector Waghmare (Paresh Rawal), (Ratna Pathak), arrests Jai for thrashing Sushant and puts him behind the bars. There, he meets again the two rough psychos who were harassing Meghna in the club. The threesome in jail find out that they are closely related cousins, separated in childhood. They tell him that for a boy to become a man in their Rathore clan, he must complete three conditions: 1.) Thrash someone 2.) Get arrested 3.) Ride a horse.
In the meantime, Aditi makes her way to the international airport for departure to USA. Bhaloo and Bhageere, who are Jai's rich cousins, use their influence to bail out Jai after which, Jai rides a horse, borrowed from his cousin, and heads direct towards the airport to stop Aditi from leaving...Thus he fulfills all three condition of rathore clan.
He finds Aditi at the airport lounge and sings the song – "Jaane tu ya jaane na" which is the film's theme song-for her, which is the same song that Jai had said in the beginning he'd sing for the love of his life. Aditi, delighted, hugs him and cancels her US trip. Airport security cop Inspector Prakash, on finding that Jai is not a terrorist, lets him go, but with a warning.
Rotlu, Jiggy,Sandhya and Shaleen conclude the story and welcome Jai and Aditi, just returning from USA after 5 years, at the airport. Mala gets extremely delighted to see them and introduces herself as Jiggy’s girlfriend and they leave the airport together...happily ever after...
- Imran Khan as Jai Singh Rathore ('Rats')
- Genelia D'Souza as Aditi Mahant ('Meow')
- Nirav Mehta as Jignesh ('Jiggy')
- Alishka Varde as Sandhya ('Bombs')
- Karan Makhija as Ravindran ('Rotlu')
- Sugandha Garg as Shaleen
- Prateik Babbar as Amit Mahant, Aditi's brother
- Renuka Kunzru as Mala
- Ratna Pathak as Savitri Rathore, Jai's mother
- Manjari Phadnis as Meghna
- Anuradha Patel as Aditi's mother
- Jayant Kripalani as Aditi's Father
- Ayaz Khan as Sushant Modi, Aditi's Fiance
- Naseeruddin Shah as Amar Singh Rathore, Jai's Father
- Sohail Khan as bagheere
- Arbaaz Khan as ballu
- Paresh Rawal as Inspector P. K. Waghmare
- Murli Sharma as Inspector at airport
- Kitu Gidwani as Sheela (Meghna's mother)
- Rajat Kapoor as Meghna's father
- Shakun Batra as Nilesh
- Padam Bhola as Vivek
The film was released on 4 July 2008. The premiere of the film was held at the PVR Cinemas in Goregaon, Mumbai where many Bollywood stars were present. The film was released with 473 prints worldwide, which includes 282 analogue prints, 81 digital screens and 110 prints overseas. In its second week, the number of shows at multiplexes were increased while 100 more centres were opened.
The movie got positive responses from the critics. Rediff.com gave it a 4 out of 5, "a rock-solid ensemble cast that is mouthwateringly perfect". Movie Talkies has given it 4 stars, "the coolest, warmest, hippest and funniest musical romantic comedy in years has arrived, and a new Khan is born." Glamsham gave it another 4 out of 5, "another fruitful outing for Aamir Khan. This man certainly knows what he is doing." Planet Bollywood gave it 4 stars, "a fresh breezy entertainer which undoubtedly is the best the year has seen so far." AOL India reviewer Noyon Jyoti Parasara gave it 3.5 out of 5 and said, "Jaane Tu... weaves in a lot of emotions right from friendship, love to insecurity. Every character is shown to have a definite backing. Which means a very good job by the writer." Taran Adarsh of IndiaFM gave it 3.5 stars, "a breezy entertainer which will be loved by its target audience – the youth".
Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na was an early success, with 80% or more in morning shows and 100% by the noon shows across India. Monday usually witnesses a drop in business for films in India, but Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na had strong showings on Monday (75%), Tuesday (70%) and Wednesday (60%+). The first week all-India gross was ₹200.1 million (US$3.1 million) with an average of ₹656,524 per print. For the second week, the number of shows were increased and it started the week grossing almost 100% at several screens. The film grossed ₹175 million (US$2.7 million) in its second week, taking its total to ₹375 million (US$5.7 million). It grossed approximately ₹832 million (US$13 million) in full run.
|Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na|
|Soundtrack album by A. R. Rahman|
20 May 2008 (CD release)
|Recorded||Panchathan Record Inn
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|A. R. Rahman chronology|
The music of Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na, composed by A. R. Rahman and lyrics by director Abbas Tyrewala, was released in India on 20 May 2008 with producer Aamir Khan presenting the first audio CD to veteran actor Shammi Kapoor. The soundtrack held the number one spot on the music charts for several consecutive weeks. The soundtrack was well received by the audiences and the critics, with "Pappu Can't Dance" becoming one of the major hits of 2008. Rahman was awarded with the Filmfare Best Music Director Award and the Star Screen Award for Best Music Director for this soundtrack. The track "Kabhi Kabhi Aditi" was nominated for Best Playback Singer (Rashid Ali) and Best Lyrics (Tyrewala) at the Filmfare awards. According to the Indian trade website Box Office India, with around 15,00,000 units sold, this film's soundtrack album was the year's eighth highest-selling.
|1.||"Kabhi Kabhi Aditi"||Rashid Ali||3:41|
|2.||"Pappu Can't Dance"||Anupama, Benny Dayal, Blaaze, Tanvi, Darshana, Satish Subrahmaniam, Mohammed Aslam||4:27|
|3.||"Jaane Tu Mera Kya Hai (Aditi)"||Runa Rizvi||3:41|
|4.||"Nazrein Milana Nazrein Churana"||Benny Dayal, Satish Subrahmaniam, Naresh Iyer, Darshana, Swetha, Tanvi, Sayonora Philip, Bhargavi, Anupama||3:57|
|5.||"Tu Bole Main Boloon"||A. R. Rahman||4:36|
|6.||"Kahin Toh"||Rashid Ali, Vasundhara Das||5:05|
|7.||"Jaane Tu Meri Kya Hai (Jai)"||Sukhwinder Singh||5:44|
|8.||"Pappu Can't Dance (Remix)" (Remixed by Krishna Chetan)||Anupama, Benny Dayal, Blaaze, Tanvi, Darshana, Satish Subrahmaniam, Mohammed Aslam||4:27|
Star Screen Awards
- Best Male Debut – Imran Khan
- Best Music Director Award – A. R. Rahman
- Special Performance Award – Prateik Babbar
- Best Choreography Award – Longinus Fernandes
4th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards
- Best Male Debut – Imran Khan (actor)
Star Sabse Favourite kaun Awards
- Naya Hero – Imran Khan
- Breakthrough Performance Award (Male) – Prateik Babbar
- Breakthrough Performance Award (Female) – Manjari Phadnis
- New Musical Sensation (Male) – Benny Dayal for (Pappu Can't Dance)
- ET Bureau (9 July 2008). "Jaane Tu... scores over Love Story 2050". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- Bamzai, Kaveree (10 July 2008). "The bubblegum boys". India Today. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- "Top Lifetime Grossers Worldwide". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013.
- "Star studded premiere of Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na Bollywood News Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na". Bollywoodmantra.com. 3 July 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Box Office Top 5 :Midweek: 'Singh Is Kinng' has mind-boggling weekend!". Indiafm.com. Archived from the original on 8 February 2012. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
-  Archived 13 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Business Talk with Taran Adarsh :Lull before the storm". Indiafm.com. Archived from the original on 25 June 2008. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Box Office Update :B.O. update: Unprecedented, unparalleled, unheard of start for 'SIK'". Indiafm.com. Archived from the original on 24 August 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Jaane Tu music is young and peppy". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na – music review by Atta Khan". Planet Bollywood. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na : Music Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Aamir presents 'Jaane Tu...' audio CD to Shammi Kapoor". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 21 May 2008. Archived from the original on 1 August 2008.
- "Top Ten albums of the week". Indiafm.com. 7 July 2008. Archived from the original on 18 July 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Adarsh, Taran (4 July 2008). "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na movie review". Bollywoodhungama.com.
- "Why Pappu Can't Dance". Mybindi.com. 15 July 2008.
- "Poll:Best Hindi Songs of 2008!". Indicine.com. 16 March 2009.
- "Music Hits 2000–2009 (Figures in Units)". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 24 June 2010.