Jabal An-Nabi Shu'ayb
|Jabal An-Nabi Shu'aib|
|Jabal Hadhur |
|Elevation||3,666 m (12,028 ft) |
|Prominence||3,326 m (10,912 ft) |
|Isolation||554 km (344 mi)|
|Listing||Country high point|
|Native name||جَبَل ٱلنَّبِي شُعَيْب (in Arabic)|
|Location||Sanaa Governorate, Yemen|
|Parent range||Haraz-Sarawat Mountains|
Jabal An-Nabī Shuʿayb (Arabic: جَبَل ٱلنَّبِي شُعَيْب, lit. 'Mountain of the Prophet Shuaib'), also called Jabal Hadhur (Arabic: جَبَل حَضُوْر, romanized: Jabal Ḥaḍūr), is a mountain of the Harazi subregion of the Sarawat, located in Bani Matar District, Sanaa Governorate, Yemen. It is the highest mountain of the country and the Arabian Peninsula. It is one of the most prominent peaks in the world, and the third most prominent peak in the Middle East.
The mountain is named after a prophet called Shuʿayb ibn Mahdam ibn Dhī-Mahdam al-Ḥaḍūrī (شُعَيْب ابْن مَهْدَم ابْن ذِي مَهْدَم ٱلْحَضُوْرِي). According to Islamic scholars, he is different from Shuaib of Midian. According to Al-Hamdani, he was sent to the people of Mikhlaf Hadhur, but they killed him, and God sent Bakht Nasr, who destroyed their town. Locals believe that his tomb on the mountain. The mountain is also called Jabal Hadhur because it is located in the region of Mikhlaf Hadhur.
Its elevation is often reported to be 3,760 metres (12,340 feet), but this is not supported by SRTM data or more recent cartographic sources. The height of the mountain is 3,666 metres (12,028 ft), and is located near the Yemeni capital city of Sanaa. Yemen's second highest peak, Jabal Tiyal, is nearly equidistant from the capital as Jabal an-Nabi Shu'aib is. The mountain may seem like a rocky knoll from observation center, like on the Sana'a-Al Hudayda highway, but from its western face, it is a massive mountain rising from about 1,500–1,600 m (4,900–5,200 ft). This side of the mountain halts clouds burdened with precipitation, causing that side to be relatively fertile. Atop the mountain is a military post with a radar, and what is reportedly the shrine of Shu'ayb.
The mountain (background) as viewed from the terraced side of mountain at Al Mahwit Governorate
As viewed from Kawkaban in Al-Mahwit Governorate
It is relatively difficult to be allowed to its summit, but restrictions have eased as of late.[clarification needed] Although the summit is not snow-capped like its counterparts in northern Lebanon and Syria, there have been reports of snow on the peak and frost in the winter. Wind speeds are very high at the summit. In April 2019, Ahmad Zein Al-Yafei, an Emirati security officer from Dubai, claimed scaling the mountain in 69 hours, unfurling the banner of Dubai Police at the peak. He mentioned that reaching the summit was hard, long and tiring, having to go through low levels of oxygen, air pressure and temperature.
- زبارة, محمد بن محمد بن يحيى اليمني/الصنعاني (1998-01-01). نيل الوطر من تراجم رجال اليمن في القرن الثالث عشر 1-2 ج1 (in Arabic). Dar Al Kotob Al Ilmiyah (دار الكتب العلمية). ISBN 978-2-7451-2623-8.
- Gazetteer of Arabia. II  (81/688). Qatar Digital Library. 1917. Retrieved 2020-04-17.
- "Jabal an-Nabī Shu'ayb, Bani Matar, Sanaa, Yemen". Mindat.org. Retrieved 2020-04-17.
- "Arabian peninsula and Middle East" Peaklist.org. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Robert D. Burrowes (2010). Historical Dictionary of Yemen. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 5–340. ISBN 978-0-8108-5528-1.
- McLaughlin, Daniel (2008). "1: Background". Yemen. Bradt Travel Guides. p. 3. ISBN 978-1-8416-2212-5.
- حسين, فرح، محمد (2004). الجديد في تاريخ دولة وحضارة سبأ وحمير: معالم تاريخ اليمن الحضاري عبر ٩٠٠٠ سنة (in Arabic). وزارة الثقافة والسياحة،. p. 716.
- العزيز, البكري/أبو عبيد عبد الله بن عبد (1998-01-01). معجم ما استعجم من أسماء البلاد والمواضع 1-3 مع الفهارس ج1 (in Arabic). Dar Al Kotob Al Ilmiyah دار الكتب العلمية. p. 90. ISBN 978-2-7451-0035-1.
- الهمدانى, ابى محمد الحسن بن احمد بن يعقوب (1990). صفة جزيرة العرب (in Arabic). ktab INC.
- Map at pbase.com Retrieved 2011-11-20
- "Dubai security officer scales Jebel An-Nabi Shu'ayb". Gulf News. Dubai. 2019-04-07. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- Jabal an-Nabi Shu'ayb
- Jabal an-Nabī Shu‘aib, Yemen
- Forecast for Jabal An-Nabi Shu'ayb
- Highest Mountains In Yemen
- Jabal an-Nabi Shu'ayb - The highest mountain
- Village at the base of Jabal an-Nabi Shu'ayb
- اعرف بلدك: جبل النبي الشعيب.. أعلى قمة جبلية في الشرق الأوسط (YouTube, in Arabic)
- أين يقع جبل النبي شعيب
- النزول من جبل النبي شعيب