Jabalpur Engineering College
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Government Engineering College, Jabalpur |
Government Engineering College, Jabalpur
|Motto||Onwards on wings|
|Chairman||Deepak Kumar Joshi|
|Principal||S. S. Thakur|
255 acres (103 ha)
Jabalpur Engineering College (JEC), formerly known as Government Engineering College, Jabalpur, is an institute located in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India. It was established as the Government Engineering College, Jabalpur during the British rule in India and is the 15th oldest engineering institution of India. It is also the first institute of India to have started Electronics & Telecommunication engineering education in the country and the last educational institution set up by the British in India. The institute offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in engineering and applied sciences. JEC made an announcement in March 2013, that it is starting new courses in engineering, management, design, architecture, town planning, pharmacy, cyber and business laws.
JEC was established as the Government Engineering College, Jabalpur on 7 July 1947, during the British rule in India, making it the oldest engineering institute of central India and the 15th oldest engineering college of India. It also has the oldest Electronics & Telecommunication department in India, which was started in 1947, right from its inception.
It was affiliated to the University of Sagar from 1947 to 1956, then to the University of Jabalpur, until the year 1999, and from 1999 to 2010 to Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal, which is the State Technological University of Madhya Pradesh. The institute celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1997 while the President of India, his Excellency Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma graced the Golden Jubilee ceremony. In 1997, it was granted an autonomous institute status and in the year 2010, it was declared an autonomous university by the Government of Madhya Pradesh. In the year 2014, it was granted autonomy by University Grants Commission. It is a regional center and also a nodal research center of Rajiv Gandhi Technical University.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Information Technology
- Industrial & Production Engineering
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Applied Physics
- Department of Applied Chemistry
- Department of Applied Mathematics
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- B.E. - Admissions to B.E. degree courses were done on the basis of performance in the State level Pre-Engineering Test, MP-PET conducted every year by the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board Bhopal and All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). 80% of total seats in each branch were filled by candidates of MP-PET and the remaining 20% by the candidates of AIEEE. But from 2014 onwards, admissions are carried out on the basis of Joint Entrance Exam conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education.
- B.E. (PTDC) - For the in-service personnel holding a diploma in engineering, Part Time Degree Courses (PTDC) of four-year duration are being run in the evenings since 1966. These courses were started with an intake of 20 students in each of the core branches i.e. Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics & Telecommunication departments.
- M.E. - through Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by the IITs and IISc Bangalore.
- MCA - through MP Pre-MCA examination conducted by Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board.
- MSc - Every year 15 seats are allotted for the respective departments i.e. Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry. Selection is purely based on the percentage obtained in BSc degree examination, minimum expectation is 50% for the eligibility. Departments may conduct a selection test if the number of applicants exceeds 15.
- PhD - through Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), followed by written test and Interview.
- All the courses are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi and recognised by the Directorate of Technical Education, Madhya Pradesh.
- The institute is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation of All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi for the undergraduate degrees of Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Electronics & Telecommunication and Computer Science departments.
- Lead Institution under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India funded by the World Bank for rapid development of the institute.
- CORE (Centre of Relevance & Excellence) by TIFAC of Department of Science & Technology (India).
- Transformer Repair Unit (TRU) : The unit was inaugurated on 2 February 2006 with an objective to detect & analyse defects in transformers which fail during impulse testing so that the transformer design can be improved. This unit has also taken up the repairs of old distribution transformers from agencies like Madhya Pradesh State Electricity Board, Military Engineering Service, Public Works Department, Power Grid Corporation of India etc.
- High Voltage Laboratory of Electrical Engineering Department has been accredited by NABL for professional testing purpose.
|Type||Number of Hostels||Total Capacity|
Extra-Curricular Activities (Technical, Cultural and Sports)
- TEDxJECollege an international conference is held annually in the month of February.
- AUREOLE is one of the distinguished initiatives by students. It is one of the biggest techno.cultural fest of central india.
- Aaghaz is the intra-college interbranch sports cum cultural fest and is held annually.
- Unofficial Magazine:- Abhiyaam 
- JEC has its own theatre club named Azaan which provides a platform for drama, acting and dance.
- Photography society named JEC Photographic Society (JPS).
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (July 2017)
Notable alumni include:
- Ajai Chowdhry – Padma Bhushan, Co-founder & Chairman of HCL Enterprise, IIIT Naya Raipur and IIT Patna and former Chairman of IIT Hyderabad.
- K. S. Sudarshan - He was the fifth Sarsanghachalak (from 2000 to 2009) of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), the world's largest voluntary non-governmental organization.
- Sharat Saxena – Veteran Indian film, television and theatre actor.
- Shreegopal Vyas - Member of Parliament of the Rajya Sabha.
- Sharad Yadav – Member of Parliament of the Lok Sabha, Chairman of Janata Dal (United) and former Union Cabinet Minister of Civil Aviation, Labour, Textiles and Food Processing Industries, Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- C. B. Bhave – Former Chairman & Managing Director of National Securities Depository Limited and Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- Shyam Mardikar - Chief Technology Officer, Bharti Airtel.
- Prakash Naidu – Former Project Director, Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Bangalore.
- Hemchandra Kekre – Former Professor of Electrical Engineering and Head of Department, Computer Science & Engineering at IIT Bombay.
- Google Drive Viewer. Docs.google.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 November 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 03/15/2013 : Dainik Bhaskar e-Paper, jabalpur, e-Paper, jabalpur e Paper, e Newspaper jabalpur, jabalpur e Paper, jabalpur ePaper. Epaper.bhaskar.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- "Rapid strides in education under Mr Shivraj Singh Chouhan". khojkhabarnews.com. 8 July 2012. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Jabalpur Engineering College, Jabalpur, India – College Admissions, Placements, Contact Details, Rankings". Shiksha.com. 7 July 1947. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Jabalpur Engineering College in INDIA". Rgadmission.com. 7 July 1947. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Jabalpur Engineering College, Jabalpur". Archived from the original on 23 September 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- Rajiv Gandhi Technical University. Rgtu.itgo.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- "Directorate of Technical Education, Madhya Pradesh – List of institutes". Archived from the original on 18 June 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 26 June 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://archive.dailypioneer.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=34357:first-regional-centre-of-rgtu-to-be-operational-from-today&Itemid=604[permanent dead link]
- "List of AICTE approved colleges in M.P | 2012 India". Entrance-exam.net. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- [dead link]
- "JEC – Jabalpur Engineering College". Jecjabalpur.org. Archived from the original on 30 May 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 December 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)