Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prashant Singh|
|Produced by||Ekta Kapoor|
Shailesh R Singh
|Written by||Sanjeev K Jha|
|Edited by||Ritesh Soni|
Balaji Motion Pictures
Karma Media & Entertainment
|Distributed by||Zee Studios (International)|
Pen Marudhar Entertainment
|Box office||est. ₹25.40 crore|
Jabariya Jodi (transl. Forced couple) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy action film, starring Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra. The film is based upon the tradition of groom kidnapping, prevalent in Bihar. Malhotra is playing a Bihari thug in the film, which is co-produced by Ekta Kapoor, Shobha Kapoor and Shailesh R Singh and is directed by Prashant Singh. Principal photography of the film began on 10 August 2018 in Lucknow, and it was theatrically released in India on 9 August 2019.
Abhay Singh (Sidharth Malhotra) runs a syndicate of kidnapping greedy grooms, who demand dowry in Bihar’s Madhopur. He then, forcefully marries them off to the girl, calling it a ‘surprise party’. But when his childhood sweetheart Babli (Parineeti Chopra) re-enters his life, he must choose between love and his long-term ambitions.
- Sidharth Malhotra as Abhay Singh
- Parineeti Chopra as Babli Yadav
- Javed Jaffrey as Hukun Dev Singh
- Sanjay Mishra as Duniya Lal Yadav
- Aparshakti Khurana as Santosh
- Ruslaan Mumtaz as Kush
- Chandan Roy Sanyal as Guddu
- Neeraj Sood as Pathak ji
- Arfi Lamba as Jeetu
- Yogita Rathore as Abhay’s sister
- Sheeba Chaddha as Abhay's mother
- Mohit Baghel as Halla
- Gopal Dutt as Inspector Tiwari
- Gurket Kaur as Young Babli
- Aaryan arora as Young Abhay
- Anupam Mishra as Photographer
- Sharad Kapoor as Daddan Yadav
- Alankrita Sahai as an item number song "Macchardani"
- Elli Avram as an item number "Zila Hilela" song
The film was conceived by writer Sanjeev K Jha who is from Bihar and is familiar with forced marriage practice in his native state. He was surprised to see the official data that said that more abductions happened in Bihar for the purpose of forced marriage than ransom in recent years. He said in a statement, “We always knew such forced marriages happen, but we didn’t know the magnitude of it." It was an eye-opener for him so he created a comic world and a love-story using this bizarre practices.
Marketing and release
The first look of the film was revealed by Ekta Kapoor on her Twitter account on 20 August 2018. It showed Parineeti and Sidharth lost in each other but in between them, there is a groom tied and unconscious. It also explained what the title Jabariya Jodi actually means. The 2nd teaser of the film was shared by Sidharth Malhotra on his official Instagram account on 6 December 2018 announcing the release date of 17 May 2019.
On 4 March 2019 with release of a new official theatrical posters new release date of 12 July 2019 was announced. On 3 June the release date was pushed back to 2 August. On 29 July release date was further pushed by one week to 9 August.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||19 July 2019 |
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The music of the film is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Vishal Mishra, Sachet-Parampara, Ramji Gulati and Ashok Mastie while lyrics are written by Raj Shekhar, Rashmi Virag, Shabbir Ahmed, Kumaar, Tanishk Bagchi and Siddharth-Garima. Background music scored by Joel Crasto.
|1.||"Khadke Glassy"||Tanishk Bagchi, Channi Rakhala||Tanishk Bagchi||Yo Yo Honey Singh, Ashok Mastie, Jyotica Tangri||3:20|
|2.||"Zilla Hilela"||Shabbir Ahmed, Tanishk Bagchi||Tanishk Bagchi||Dev Negi, Monali Thakur, Raja Hassan, Pravesh Mallick||3:58|
|3.||"Dhoonde Akhiyaan"||Rashmi Virag||Tanishk Bagchi||Yasser Desai, Altamash Faridi||4:35|
|4.||"Khwabfaroshi"||Siddharth-Garima||Sachet-Parampara||Sachet Tandon, Parampara Thakur||4:47|
|5.||"Ki Honda Pyaar" (Male Version)||Raj Shekhar||Vishal Mishra||Arijit Singh||5:22|
|6.||"Macchardani"||Raj Shekhar||Vishal Mishra||Jyotica Tangri, Vishal Mishra||2:59|
|7.||"Ki Honda Pyaar" (Female Version)||Raj Shekhar||Vishal Mishra||Neha Kakkar, Vishal Mishra||5:22|
|8.||"Glassy 2.0"||Kumaar||Ramji Gulati, Ashok Mastie||Yo Yo Honey Singh, Ashok Mastie, Jyotica Tangri||2:58|
This section may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2019)
Nandini Ramnath from Scroll rated the movie 1.5 stars on 5 and wrote, "Inexplicably convoluted and unforgivably long". 
Sandip Pal of DesiMartini rated the movie 2 stars on 5 and wrote, "Wonder What The Film Wanted To Convey With Its Hapzhazard Plotline" and taking about the lead actors he said, "When we talk about performances, Sidharth Malhotra for some strange reason looks comfortable in the skin of his character but falters when it comes to the body language and the Bihari diction. It sounds fake!" as of Parineeti Chopra he said, "Coming to Parineeti Chopra – she has been playing the fiesty motor-mouth girl in almost all her films and this film too she plays a girl who is cheeky and audacious and is ready to go to any length to get what she wants! Well, this is just for the first half. In the second half, wonder what happens to her strength of character, she is forever crying and sulking like forever and ever! This sudden change in the characteristic after the interval is not just off-putting but it is also very obnoxious, much more than her red hair! Chopra needs to get her act together." 
Koimoi rated the movie 3 on 5 stars and on their Watch or Not they wrote, "Only if you can filter out what’s not important to your taste" 
Latesly rated the movie 2.5 on 5 stars and wrote, "It is quite strange in a movie about groom-napping, that it is the 'Jabariya' of the title that provides some of the fun moments, and the 'Jodi' that lets the movie down. Jabariya Jodi is entertaining when it plays for the laughs, but goes horribly messed up when it amps up the romance. At best, a passable one-time watch, if you can keep your butts Jabariya on to the seats in the second half!" and of the performances they wrote, "Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra do their best, but are let down by their muddled characterisation". 
Lakshana N Palat from India Today reviewed, "Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra film is excruciatingly painful" and rated the movie 1.5 out of 5 stars.
The Times of India's Ronak Kotecha rated the movie 2.5 stars on 5 and wrote, "Jabariya Jodi starts on a promising note, but loses steam along the way. It tries to throw light on serious issues with lighter moments, but gets tangled in a melodramatic and unrealistic narrative that doesn’t feel all that jabardust." 
Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express rated the movie 1 on 5 stars calling it a confused long drawn mess.
Jabariya Jodi had the opening day collection of ₹2.70 crore and the second day collection of ₹3.70 crore, whereas the third day collection was ₹4.50 crore, taking its total opening weekend collection to ₹10.90 crore.
- "Pen Marudhar Entertainment acquires the India Distribution rights of these Balaji films". Box office India. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "IT'S OFFICIAL... #JabariyaJodi - which was slated for release on 2 Aug 2019 - will now release one week later: 9 Aug 2019". Taran Adarsh on Twitter. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Ekta Kapoor's next starring Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra titled Jabariya Jodi". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi Brings Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra Together After Four Years". News 18. 10 August 2018. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- 'Jabariya Jodi' Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra reunite after Hasee Toh Phasee
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra are Ekta Kapoor's 'Jabariya Jodi'". DNA. 10 August 2018.
- Singh, Raghuvendra (10 August 2018). "Parineeti Chopra and Sidharth Malhotra start shooting for Jabariya Jodi". Filmfare. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi: Sidharth Malhotra-Parineeti Chopra film gets new release date". India Today. 4 June 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra's Jabariya Jodi is about forced marriages, begins shoot". Hindustan Times. 11 August 2018.
- Filming begins for Siddharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra's next titled 'Jabariya Jodi'
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra wrap Jabariya Jodi shoot in style". Indian Express. 17 April 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "First posters: 'Jabariya Jodi' Sidharth, Parineeti are back; here's more on journey". Deccan Chronicle. 20 August 2018. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "First Look Of 'Jabariya Jodi': Parineeti Chopra And Sidharth Malhotra in Pakadua Vivah". Headlines Today. 20 August 2018. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Ekta Kapoor on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra's Jabariya Jodi pushed back from its initial May release, new date here". Times Now News 18. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi – Official Trailer | Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra | 2nd August 2019". YouTube. BalajiMotionPictures. 1 July 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi' trailer launch: Siddharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra talk about the laughter ride and its unique concept at the event". Times of India. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Parineeti Chopra and Sidharth Malhotra latest photoshoot". newsgraph. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- "Jabariya Jodi - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.