Jaca Navarra mares
|Other names||Basque: Nafarroako zaldiko, Navarrese horse|
|Country of origin||Spain|
The Jaca Navarra (Basque: Nafarroako zaldiko), or Navarrese horse, is a breed of small horse from the Navarre region of northern Spain. It is listed in the Catálogo Oficial de Razas de Ganado de España in the group of autochthonous breeds in danger of extinction. The total population of the Jaca Navarra has been variously estimated at 350 (in 1999), 250 (in 2000), and 240 and decreasing (in 1997). In April 2011 the total population was reported to be 899, all of which were in Navarre. The breed is listed by the FAO as Endangered.
A breeders' association, the Asociación de Criadores de Ganado Equino Jaca Navarra (JACANA), was formed in 1999, and a breed register opened in 2001. The conservation and reference herd kept in semi-feral conditions at the Sabaiza estate contains all but a few examples of the breed.
In Spanish, this breed is also known as the Poney Navarro, Caballo Navarro, Caballo Vasco-navarro, Caballito de Andía, Caballito de las Améscoas or Caballito de la Barranca, and was in the past also known as Jaca de Montaña, Raza de Pamplona or Raza Pamplonica.
- "Ganaderia: Clasificación de Razas". Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino. (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2013-02-13. Retrieved August 2011. Check date values in:
- "Raza Jaca Navarra" (in Spanish). ITG Ganadero. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- Cañon, J; Checa ML; Carleos C; Vega-Pla JL; Vallejo M; Dunner S (February 2000). "The genetic structure of Spanish Celtic horse breeds inferred from microsatellite data". Anim. Genet. 31 (1): 39–48. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2052.2000.00591.x. PMID 10690360. Archived from the original on 2013-01-05. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- Scherf, Beate D. (ed.) (2000). World Watch List for Domestic Animal Diversity (PDF). Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. p. 739. ISBN 92-5-104511-9. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2011-04-07.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Ganaderia: Raza equino caballar JACA NAVARRA". Click on JACA NAVARRA in the EQUINO CABALLAR section, then Datos Censales tab. Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 11, 2011. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- "Ganaderia: Raza equino caballar JACA NAVARRA". Click on JACA NAVARRA in the EQUINO CABALLAR section. Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 11, 2011. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- "DICCIONARIO DE LA LENGUA ESPAÑOLA". REAL ACADEMIA ESPAÑOLA. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
|This equine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|