Jack & Jack
|Jack & Jack|
Jack Gilinsky (left) and Jack Johnson (right) of Jack & Jack perform at Radio Disney's 'On The Road To The RDMAs' Live Event at YouTube Space LA on March 25, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.
Jack Edward Johnson|
March 24, 1996
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Jack Finnegan Gilinsky
September 10, 1996
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
|Origin||Omaha, Nebraska͵ United States|
Jack & Jack is an American pop-rap duo from Omaha, Nebraska, consisting of Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky, who are now based in Los Angeles, California. After success via the social media app Vine, the duo turned to a career as musicians. Their 2014 single "Wild Life" peaked at number 87 on the US Billboard Hot 100. They also featured on Jonas Blue's 2018 hit single "Rise", which has so far peaked at number three in the UK Singles Chart in addition to charting within the top 20 of various other European countries and Australia. Both attended Omaha Westside High School.
- 1 Early life and career
- 2 Career
- 3 Tours and performances
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Early life and career
Jack Edward Johnson and Jack Finnegan Gilinsky were born in Omaha, Nebraska. The pair met on the first day of kindergarten, both wearing the same shirt, both named Jack; and remained friends throughout their elementary and high school years.
Jack & Jack's comedy career began in 2007 with the creation of their first collaboration YouTube channel MotherFalconQuagmire. The short satires included lip syncing music videos, short parodies of popular songs, and British-speaking lads. Although only made as a side hobby during free time, their videos were received by a considerable audience of hundreds, but faded abruptly not long after the pair started high school.
2013–15: Breakout with Vine
Jack & Jack began posting six second clips as a comedy duo on Vine during the summer of 2013. Johnson had posted the first vines under his name in July 2013 including the I Never Miss series, Gilinsky later making appearances on their now growing joint account, rebranded as Jack and Jack. Their breakout came with their Nerd Vandals clip going viral, praised by the Huffington Post as the perfect vine, amassing the pair 25,000 followers in a short period of time. Their vines consisted of 6 second covers of pre-existing songs, also including When This Song Comes On clips made exclusively in the car, short comedy clips featuring the couple as overconcerned parents, nerd alter-egos Eric and Winston, girls in wigs, and more. Shortly thereafter, they joined the Magcon tour, and continued to amass a following on the road touring with other Vine artists. As of February 2015, they have accumulated over 5 million followers on their shared account, and are currently ranked 18th most popular Viner as of April 2015.
Jack & Jack have also currently released two mobile app games through their partnership with Omaha-based mobile games company SkyVu Entertainment. Their first game, Let It Goat, garnered over a million downloads within the first month." The success of this game further encouraged Jack & Jack to develop their second game, Jack & Jack Vines Puzzle Game, in December 2014.
2014–present: Music as the main focus
Jack & Jack's musical pursuits began when the duo met sophomores Turner and Travis Eakins (also known as Barrington Park) in 2013. Through this partnership, Jack & Jack recorded their earliest co-written songs (including "Indoor Recess", their first unofficially released single) in a makeshift studio, with a backing instrumental made by the Eakins brothers. This enabled their music to be mixed and released on the iTunes Store via third party distributor TuneCore.
Their first original song "Distance" was released in January 2014. As of February 2015, Jack & Jack have self-released 11 singles with intentions of a full-length debut album, including collaborations with the likes of Emblem3 (Cheat Codes, Bucket List), Shawn Mendes and Steve Aoki. Although repeatedly approached, the music duo are not anticipating signing with a record label company. They are currently working with producers and songwriters Max Martin and Savan Kotecha.
Both Jacks play instruments and write their own music, sharing interests across genres including reggae, R&B, pop and hip hop which have influences on their own songs. As of February 2015, they have sold 1 million singles on iTunes. They have also made the Billboard Top Digital Songs List with "Doing It Right", "Tides", "Cold Hearted", "Like That" featuring Skate, "Right Where You Are" and "Wild Life". Their single "Like That" topped the Billboard charts shortly after the release of their official music video, in which Jack & Jack paid homage to The Beatles's iconic album Abbey Road. They have released 5 music videos as of May 2015, and currently reside in Los Angeles writing and producing new music.
On July 24, 2015, Jack & Jack independently released a debut extended play (EP) Calibraska to the digital market via distributor DistroKid, founded by Philip J. Kaplan. The EP reached number one on the US iTunes album charts within hours of its release.
In January 2018, Jack & Jack were picked as Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month. The duo was featured on NBC's Today show hosted by Hoda Kotb and broadcast nationally where they performed live their single "Beg".
Tours and performances
In June 2014, after graduating from Omaha Westside High School, the duo recognised the ability to monetize their situation and headed to Los Angeles to work on their headlining tour, DigiTour Jack and Jack coordinated by DigiTour Media. The 18 city tour sold out in all but four cities across the United States, and consisted of choreographed on stage music performances, fan interaction and comedy skits. During this tour, Jack & Jack also made a headlining performance at the Teen Choice Awards, where they were nominated for the award Choice Viner. Alongside this, they also appeared as featured performers at the 2014 INTOUR, an interactive social festival as part of their partnership with FullScreen.
Upon its conclusion in mid-September 2014, a full-length movie documenting Jack & Jack's headlining tour was released for online sale by DigiTour Media in December 2014, providing fans with a behind-the-scenes glimpse of their roadshow.
On 20 December 2014, Jack & Jack headlined their own one-night only music oriented performance at the Ralston Arena in their hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, with fellow performers Emblem3 and special guest Hot Boy.
As part of their partnership with Communications Service Verizon, Jack & Jack have performed at the Verizon Michigan Avenue Destination Store Grand Opening (November 2014) and at the Bayou Music Center to a crowd of 1,500 as part of the Verizon Houston Destination Store Grand Opening (January 2015).
On February 27, 2015, Jack and Jack made their debut television appearance on ABC's The View as part of a Vine On The View segment upon the request of Ryan Seacrest to discuss fame, bullying and their comedy career. They also performed their single Tides to a live audience.
On March 21, 2015, Jack & Jack made their international performance debut at the Wembley Arena, London, England as featured opening act for The Janoskians at the soldout one-off live event JanoFest.
As part of their brand partnership, Jack & Jack gave an exclusive performance at Fullscreen's NewFronts presentation in New York City on May 4, 2015. On May 9, 2015, Jack & Jack performed at the VITY Concert Experience in Hollywood California, with other special guests Tyga and Kid Ink. During this event they also officially confirmed their Summer tour of 2015.
Summer Tour 2015
Jack & Jack have partnered with multiple brands to promote skin-cancer awareness and anti-bullying content. They participated in Ryan Seacrest's 2015 Super Bowl #MakeItHappy campaign, which encourages kindness on the internet and in social media. They have also worked in association with Michelin to promote safe driving.
Jack & Jack have previously made appearances at multiple charity events including Miles for Music and at the Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times fundraiser. They have also shown support to The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, in Omaha, Nebraska. They gave a supporting performance at T.J. Martell Foundation's annual New York Family Day event in December 2015.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Paradise (Never Change)"||—||—||—|
|"Doing It Right"||—||41||—|
|"Right Where You Are"||—||50||—|
|"How We Livin"||—||—||—|
|"All Weekend Long"||2016||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"I Don't Know"||2018||—||—||—|
|"Stay With Me"||—||—||—|
|"No One Compares to You"||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes singles that did not chart or were not released.|
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
(Wesley Stromberg featuring Jack & Jack)
|"Party of the Year"
(DJ Rupp featuring Jack & Jack)
(Dyllan Murray featuring Jack & Jack)
|"Roll 'Em Up"
(Alli Simpson featuring Jack & Jack)
|"All for Love"
(Madison Beer featuring Jack & Jack)
(Kalin and Myles featuring Jack & Jack)
|"I'm in Love"
(Skate featuring Jack & Jack)
(Sammy Wilk featuring Jack & Jack)
(DJ Rupp featuring Jack & Jack)
(Jonas Blue featuring Jack & Jack)
|"Indoor Recess"||2013||Non-album singles|
|As lead artist|
|"Do It Right"||2014||Dylan Adams|
|"Wild Life"||Niklaus Lange|
|"How We Livin"||2016||Andre LaDon|
|As featured artist|
|"Roll 'Em Up"
(Alli Simpson featuring Jack & Jack)
|2015||The Young Astronauts|
(Dyllan Murray featuring Tyga and Jack & Jack)
|"All for Love"
(Madison Beer featuring Jack & Jack)
|2014||Jack and Jack: The Movie||Themselves||A DigiTour Media Production|
Awards and nominations
|Teen Choice Awards||Web Star: Music||Nominated|
|Streamy Awards||Entertainer of the Year||Nominated|
- Logan, Casey (March 9, 2014). "Westside High seniors build Internet empire, 6 seconds at a time". Omaha. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Raymer, Miles (August 14, 2014). "'Billboard' Hot 100 recap: Vine stars and a new European import". Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Johanningsmeier, Emma (March 12, 2014). "Jack and Jack: For senior Viners, Westside's a place to be 'normal'". Westside Wired. Retrieved November 24, 2014.
- "JackJackJohnson via Twitter". July 20, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Jack and Jack Bio" (PDF). Verizon Wireless. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Jack and Jack interview on The Bottom Line radio program". Omaha World-Herald. August 14, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Jack Gilinsky and Jack Johnson, 'Jack And Jack': 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy. Aug 10, 2014. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Nerd Vandals: Eric And Winston Terrorize Neighborhood With Math (VINE)". Huffington Post. Aug 23, 2014. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- DeAmicis, Carmel (Sep 6, 2014). "Meet Jack and Jack, the Vine stars who are quietly topping the iTunes charts". GigaOm. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Jack & Jack on Vine".
- Evans, Dayna. "The Instant Rise and Nearly Instant Fall of the Vine Idol Roadshow". Gawker. Archived from the original on 2016-04-03. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- DeAmicis, Carmel (Nov 5, 2014). "Why Twitter needs to court its Vine stars, or risk losing them to Hollywood (and Facebook)". GigaOm. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Newcomb, Alyssa (Jul 7, 2014). "'Let It Goat' Could Be the Next 'Flappy Bird'". ABC News. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Jack and Jack- SkyVu". SkyVu Entertainment. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Coffey, Kevin (Dec 21, 2014). "Next Up For Omaha's Jack & Jack? Pop Stardom". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Vine's Jack & Jack Talk Music & New Single "Paradise" (Song Of The Weekend)". DaysTune. May 9, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- Knicely, John (Feb 17, 2014). "Jack And Jack Now At 2.1 Million Followers And Growing". WOWT. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Inocencio, Marc (Dec 5, 2014). "Jack & Jack Dish on Upcoming Docu-Movie, Special Guests for Debut Album". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Mertes, Micah (Feb 27, 2015). "Omaha's teen sensations Jack and Jack were just on 'The View'". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Jack & Jack - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved January 31, 2015.
- Gruger, William (Jan 30, 2015). "Cody Simpson, Fifth Harmony, Jack & Jack & Rihanna: Real-Time Twitter Chart Rewind Ep. 34". Billboard. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Bio - Jack & Jack". Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Robehmed, Natalie (Jul 25, 2015). "How These Independent Artists Reached No. 1 On The iTunes Chart". Forbes. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Knicely, John (Oct 16, 2014). "Update: Knicely Done: Jack And Jack Plan Local Performance". WOWT. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Logan, Casey (Aug 7, 2014). "Omaha's Jack and Jack nominated in Teen Choice Awards". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Brouwer, Bree (Aug 27, 2014). "Fullscreen Taps Vine Stars Jack And Jack As INTOUR Headliners". TubeFilter. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Constable, Burt (Mar 3, 2014). "Girls go gaga for Vine video boys at Itasca meet and greet". Daily Herald. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Coffey, Kevin (Oct 16, 2014). "Omaha's Jack and Jack to perform hip-hop show at Ralston Arena". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "OMAHA NATIVES JACK & JACK TO PERFORM AT THE RALSTON ARENA". Ralston Arena. Oct 16, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Janoskians - Janofest - One Night Only!". The SSE Arena. Mar 21, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Smith, Carl (Mar 22, 2015). "GIG REVIEW: THE JANOSKIANS HEADLINE LONDON'S WEMBLEY ARENA FOR JANOFEST WITH LUKE FRIEND, JACK AND JACK AND MORE". SugarScape. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Sloane, Garett (May 4, 2015). "Fullscreen Wants to Satisfy Brands' 'Unquenchable Thirst for Video'". AdWeek. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- "Vity, The Premier Social Media Network Connecting Influencers And Advertisers, Launches Its Breakthrough Digital Networking Platform With The Vity Concert Experience". PRWEB. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- "The Castle Theatre: Jack & Jack". Castle Theatre. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- "KISS CONCERT 2015". KISSFM1035. May 3, 2015. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- Brouwer, Bree (April 3, 2015). "Demi Lovato, Jack & Jack To Perform At DigiFest NYC 2015". TubeFilter. Retrieved Jun 8, 2015.
- "Jack Gilinsky on Twitter". Twitter.
- Perricone, Kathleen (Feb 1, 2015). "Watch Jordin Sparks, Janel Parrish, More #MakeItHappy With Coca-Cola". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "Michelin Expands 'Beyond The Driving Test' Campaign During National Teen Driver Safety Week". PR Newswire. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center Auction Catalog - Jack & Jack Signed Shirt & Personal Shoutout Video". Proxibid. March 17, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "Alissa Pollack, EVP Music & Partner Integrations For iHeartMedia, Premiere Networks And Mediabase, To Be Honored At T.J. Martell Foundation's 16th Annual New York Family Day". PR Newswire. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Jack & Jack - Chart history (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Jack & Jack Calibraska CD". jackandjackshop.com. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "Gone – EP by Jack & Jack on Apple Music". Apple Inc. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Jack & Jack - Chart history (Billboard Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Jack & Jack - Chart history (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Jack & Jack - Chart history (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Jonas Blue Chart History: Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- "Discography Jonas Blue". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discographie Jonas Blue". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography Jonas Blue". Danish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discographie Jonas Blue". German Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discografie Jonas Blue". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography Jonas Blue". Norwegian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography Jonas Blue". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography Jonas Blue". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Artist Search > Jonas Blue". Official Charts Company.
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. October 15, 2018. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Jonas Blue feat. Jack and Jack – Rise". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved August 31, 2018.
- "Doing It Right (music video)". YouTube.
- "Tides (music video)". YouTube.
- "Wild Life (music video)". YouTube.
- "Like That ft. Skate (music video)". YouTube.
- "Groove (music video)". YouTube.
- "California (music video)". YouTube.
- "How We Livin (music video)". YouTube.
- "Roll 'Em Up (music video)". YouTube.
- "Firecracker (music video/promo shoot)". jacobxjordan.com.
- "All for Love (music video)". YouTube.