Jack Bond (director)
|Born||1939 (age 77–78)
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, television director|
Jack Bond (born 1939) is a British film producer and director. He is best known for his work for The South Bank Show and his creative partnership with the British writer, actor and director Jane Arden (1927–1982) between 1965 and 1979.
In 1965 Bond made a documentary film with Salvador Dalí, Dali in New York. Dalí had been based in New York city, particularly the St Regis Hotel with his wife Gala, since the 1930s. The film revolves around an ongoing interview of Dali by Arden about his creative process. This all takes place against the backdrop of social life and work including putting together two exhibitions of his work and a book, as well as various performance art displays including a final scene where Dali paints alongside a flamenco duo (singer José Reyes and guitarist Manitas de Plata). Commenting on the subject of his film, Bond observed "Dalí always knew exactly what he wanted and he got it. The doormen had to pay Dalí’s taxi fare. He was ‘grand’ in the real meaning of the word. He fitted New York like a glove, it was made for him, and The St. Regis was, and still is, the best hotel in the whole city. He was even able to paint there – he kept a special room as his studio."
Working with Arden, Bond directed the award winning Separation (1967), produced The Other Side of the Underneath (1972) and co-directed Anti-Clock (1979). These three films were reissued by the British Film Institute on Blu-ray and DVD on 13 July 2009.
Also in 2010 and continuing until mid 2011, Bond directed and appeared in The Blueblack Hussar, a documentary centred on the musical comeback of Adam Ant covering the period from Ant's late 2010 "World Tour Of London", through his early 2011 period in Paris and late Spring 2011 UK national tour up until his appearance at the summer 2011 Hyde Park Hard Rock Calling festival. As well as Ant and Bond, the film also prominently features Reynolds, Mark Ronson, John Robb, Charlotte Rampling, Allen Jones and Ant's backing vocalists Georgina "Twinkle" Leahy and Georgina Baillie. The film also has a cameo appearance by Baillie's then-band The Poussez Posse, including Fiona Bevan and the three future founder members of The Featherz. Bond's partner's daughter Lily Marlene, who is credited as Assistant to the Director on the film, would later play with The Featherz as second guitarist in May–August 2014. The film received selected screenings in 2013-2014 and was released on DVD in July 2014.
- The Pity of War BBC2, 1964 tx. 4/8/1964, script/director
- George Orwell 1903-1950 1965 BBC2, tx.20/11/1965, script/director
- Dali in New York BBC2, 1966 tx.8/8/1966, producer/director
- Exit 19 BBC2 1966 tx.8/8/1966, The Editor
- The South Bank Show ITV, usually as producer/director
- Werner Herzog tx.16/5/1982 ITV
- Patricia Highsmith – A Gift for Murder ITV (tx.14/11/1982)
- Jiri Kylian – Nederlands Dans Theater ITV tx.29/5/1983
- Catherine Cookson ITV tx.20/11/1983
- Ivy Compton-Burnett’s ‘Elders and Betters’ ITV tx.3/6/1984
- Roald Dahl – Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum ITV tx.19/10/1986
- Colin Thubron – Time Seen as a Road ITV tx.9/2/1992
- Jean Genet ITV tx.28/2/1993
- Vanessa Redgrave as Cleopatra ITV tx.9/10/1994
- Albert Camus – Broken Morning ITV tx.31/8/2003
- Discovering Charlotte Rampling (TV Documentary) (2009), director & writer
- Discovering ... Dali, Episode One of a four-part documentary series. 3DD Productions for Sundance International, (2010), director, writer and co-producer
- Separation (1967), producer/director
- The Other Side of the Underneath (1972), producer/co-cinematographer
- Vibration (1975), co-director, cinematographer
- Anti-Clock (1979), script/producer/co-director
- It Couldn't Happen Here (1987), script/producer/director
- The Blueblack Hussar (2013), director/co-star
- Vagina Rex and the Gas Oven (1969), director, starring Victor Spinetti
- A New Communion for Freaks, Prophets and Witches (1971), producer
Advertising and music
- Bond, Jack (2007-07-08). "The insider". Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Bond, Jack (1937-) Biography". screenonline. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- The Blueblack Hussar DVD Sunrise 001 2014. Credits include: "... In order of appearance: ... Danie Cox, Fiona Bevan, Molly Spiers Macleod, Rachael Smith, ..."