Jack Buchanan (rugby league)
10 April 1992 |
Culburra Beach, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||193 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||107 kg (16 st 12 lb)|
As of 18 December 2017
Jack Buchanan (born 10 April 1992) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who last played for the Widnes Vikings in the Super League. He plays at prop and previously played for the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League.
Born in Culburra Beach, New South Wales, Australia, Buchanan played his earliest football for the Culburra Dolphins before joining Canterbury's representative teams as a teenager. "I was doing 2½-hour one-way trips to the Bulldogs in Harold Matthews and SG Ball. Five hours all round, about five days a week. That would have been about three years," Buchanan later said.
Buchanan was later signed by the St. George Illawarra Dragons. He played for the Dragons' NYC team in 2011 and 2012, scoring 3 tries in 46 games. In 2012, he was statistically one of the competition's top ten players in hit-ups, metres gained, and tackles made. At the end of the season, he signed a 3-year contract with the Wests Tigers.
In Round 1 of the 2013 NRL season Buchanan made his NRL debut for the Tigers against the Newcastle Knights. He was the youngest starting prop in the competition. With injuries to props Keith Galloway and Aaron Woods, Buchanan missed only one game throughout the season, averaging 26 tackles per game. He was also one of the club leaders in support runs. Coach Mick Potter said of Buchanan's first year, "When Jack came across here, he really was a big kid that was still a bit skinny. Getting some weight on him was key. He probably won’t be fully developed for three more years but he is certainly one to keep your eye on."
Buchanan played in 12 games in 2015, again all as a reserve. At the end of the season, he re-signed for a further year.
In 2009, Buchanan played for the New South Wales U17's team.
- "Jack Buchanan - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/player-profile?playerid=112718&teamid=3400[dead link]
- Glenn Jackson (15 March 2013). "He's done the miles, now Buchanan's journey has reached the big league". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120624231536/http://www.rleague.com/db/player/b/buchanan_jack/index.php. Archived from the original on 24 June 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2013. Missing or empty
- "Top young NYC prop signs for three years". weststigers.com.au. 11 September 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- Glenn Jackson (26 March 2013). "Young guns prepared to prop up Tigers". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Brock Corfe (22 August 2013). "Young guns - Jack Buchanan". weststigers.com.au. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Wests Tigers sign Ipswich Jets' Billy McConnachie, Rod Griffin; re-sign prop Jack Buchanan for 2016 season". ABC News. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Widnes secure NRL Prop Forward". Widnesvikings.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-11.