Jack Cuzick at the Royal Society admissions day in London in 2016
|Born||11 August 1948|
Hawthorne, California, U.S.
|Thesis||On the Moments of the Number of Curve Crossings by a Stationary Gaussian Process (1974)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jerome Spanier|
Jack Martin Cuzick CBE, FRS (born 11 August 1948) is an American-born British academic, director of the Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine in London and head of the Centre for Cancer Prevention. He is the John Snow Professor of Epidemiology at the Wolfson Institute, Queen Mary University of London.
Education and early life
Cuzick was born in Hawthorne, California and attended El Segundo High School. He was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Physics in 1970 by the Harvey Mudd College and a Ph.D in Mathematics by Claremont Graduate School in 1974.
Research and career
He worked on the mathematical analysis of clinical trial methodology at Columbia University in New York City in the late 1970s and moved to Oxford University in 1978 to work with cancer epidemiologist Richard Doll. He is involved in the collection and analysis of data for cancer prevention and screening, particularly for breast, cervical and bowel cancers. He is best known for his role conducting the IBIS trials of tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors for chemoprevention of breast cancer in women with high risk of developing the disease. For this research, Cuzick's team won Cancer Research UK's Translational Cancer Research Prize in 2014,
Honours and awards
- 2017 Cancer Research UK Lifetime Achievement in Cancer Research Prize
- 2016 Elected Fellow of the Royal Society.
- 2015 Cuzick received the American Cancer Society Medal of Honor.
- 2014 Cancer Research UK Translational Cancer Research Team Prize
- 2003 Elected Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences
- Cuzick was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to cancer prevention and screening.
- Jack Cuzick at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "New Year's Honours list 2017" (PDF). Gov.uk. Government Digital Service. 30 December 2016. p. 13. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Jack Cuzick, PhD, FRS, FMedSci, FRCP(hon)". Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- EL SEGUNDO HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION : Jack Cuzick, PhD; retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Jack Cuzick". Cancer Research UK. Retrieved 4 September 2015.[dead link]
- "Translational Cancer Research Prize". Cancer Research UK. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Lifetime Achievement in Cancer Research Prize". Cancer Research UK. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Jack Cuzick biography". Royal Society. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Wolfson Institute - Professor Jack Cuzick receives American Cancer Society Medal of Honor | Wolfson Institute". Wolfson.qmul.ac.uk. 2 October 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Fellow | Academy of Medical Sciences". acmedsci.ac.uk. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "No. 61803". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2016. p. N8.
|This United Kingdom biographical article related to medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|