Jack Edwards (sportscaster)
Jack Edwards (born March 24, 1957) is an American sportscaster who is the play-by-play announcer for the Boston Bruins on NESN. He also provided commentary for the Konami game MLS Extra Time 2002 for the Xbox and GameCube.
Edwards started as a play-by-play announcer for the University of New Hampshire hockey team. He then moved on to play-by-play and sports anchor positions at WGIR radio and WMUR-TV in Manchester, New Hampshire. During the early 1980s he worked as a talk radio host for WRKO in Boston, and as a weekend anchor at WJAR-TV in Providence. He then moved to a sports reporter position at WCVB-TV in Boston. While at WCVB-TV, Edwards also served as a freelance play by play announcer for ESPN. Among the events he called were the Davis Cup finals and Frozen Four. He also served as a reporter for ABC's coverage of alpine skiing at the 1988 Winter Olympics.
In 1988, Edwards became the weekend sports anchor for Boston's WHDH-TV. While working for the CBS affiliate, Edwards also called some events for the network, including the US Open and the 1991 Olympic Winterfest.
In 1991, Edwards joined ESPN as a SportsCenter anchor and reporter. Edwards also did announcing for Little League baseball from 1995 to 2002, the X Games in 1996, ESPN National Hockey Night from 1999 to 2003, and soccer, including coverage of the 2002 FIFA World Cup.
Edwards began calling Bruins games during the 2005-06 NHL season for NESN, handling the road games while Dale Arnold covered the home games. At the start of the 2007-08 NHL season, Edwards called all Bruins games. He was awarded a 2010-11 Stanley Cup Championship ring for his play-by-play work with the Boston Bruins.
- Griffith, Bill (September 25, 2005). "Edwards, NESN look like good fit". The Boston Globe.
- Craig, Jack (December 15, 1985). "A Pitch for Sunday Baseball". The Boston Globe. Boston Globe Newspaper.
- McAdam, Sean (March 21, 1986). "TV/Radio Sports: Pats likely to play 2 games in prime time next season". The Providence Journal. Providence Journal/Evening Bulletin.
- Craig, Jack (March 4, 1988). "Thanks to the Job Jack Edwards Did in Calgary ... His Star is Rising". The Boston Globe. Boston Globe Newspaper.
- Craig, Jack (April 10, 1988). "Edwards Cashing in at Ch. 7". The Boston Globe. Boston Globe Newspaper.
- Isaacs, Stan (September 1, 1989). "USA Coverage of the Open: More is Better". Newsday. Newsday, Inc.
- Quindt, Fritz (April 14, 2003). "Static". The Sporting News.