Jack Garratt performing in Chicago in 2015
|Birth name||Jack Robert Garratt|
11 October 1991|
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England
Jack Garratt (born 11 October 1991) is a British singer and songwriter from Little Chalfont, Buckinghamshire. He released his debut studio album Phase on 19 February 2016. At the 2016 Brit Awards he received the Critics' Choice Award.
Jack Robert Garratt was born 11 October 1991 in High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire. His mother was a primary school music teacher and his father was a police officer. He grew up in the village of Little Chalfont. About his childhood he has stated that: "I just really enjoyed making noises and really enjoyed the reaction that I got from making those noises. So they [parents] put me on music lessons to encourage me to hone in [sic] on that talent rather than show off." He wrote his first song when he was 12 and learned to play a variety of instruments from the guitar, drums and piano to the harmonica, mandolin, trombone and ukulele. He attended St Clement Danes school in Chorleywood and the University of Roehampton in London.
Junior Eurovision 2005
In September 2005, Jack entered the UK national selection for that year's Junior Eurovision Song Contest to be held in Belgium. On the night Jack's song "The Girl" finished 8/8 with just 13 points. He has since said "That was the first time I tried to achieve anything as a musician but my intentions were wrong. I did it more for attention rather than for a love of what I was doing."
Jack Garratt went to university to train to be a teacher. He signed to an independent record label and began working on an album with the title Nickel and Dime. The music was acoustic blues music. He was played on BBC Three Counties Radio in March 2012 as part of BBC Introducing.
He abandoned the album when he realised that "I wasn't proud of the songs I was writing, and I was performing the music because I liked the way that people reacted rather than because I was proud of the songs." He dropped out of university and "had a real self-destructive moment" and has said that "I felt like I was going through a quarter or a midlife crisis, but I was not even 20." He decided to write music "with a totally different level of respect and integrity" and spent a year writing new songs.
On 28 October 2014, Jack released his first extended play, Remnants, and a remix EP, Remnix. On 28 November 2014 he released the single "The Love You're Given". His 2014 single "Worry" was playlisted by BBC Radio 1, and he headlined the BBC Introducing stage of the Reading and Leeds Festivals. He also headlined at the Lost Village Festival in Lincoln in 2016. On 27 September 2015 he performed at the Apple Music Festival which took place at The Roundhouse, London. Garratt supported Mumford and Sons on their 2015 UK tour, playing at 13 events at 9 arenas across the UK and Ireland. He was the winner of the Critics' Choice category at the 2016 Brit Awards, BBC Sound Poll of 2016 and is on MTV's Brand New 2016 shortlist. He released his debut studio album Phase on 19 February 2016. On February 2016 he played his single "Worry" during the italian show "Che tempo che fa".
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|BBC Music: Huw Stephens Session||
|Apple Music Festival: London 2015||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"The Love You're Given"||2014||–||–||–||—||Phase|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
Songwriting and Production Credits
|Title||Year||Artist(s)||Album||Credits||Written with||Produced with|
|"Foreign Fields"||2015||Kacy Hill||Bloo EP||Co-writer/Producer||Kacy Hill||-|
|"Power"||2017||Katy Perry||Witness||Katheryn Hudson, William Robinson||Mailbox|
Awards and nominations
|2015||BBC||Introducing Artist of the Year||Himself||Won|
|BRIT Awards||Critics' Choice||Won|
|MTV UK||Brand New for 2016||Nominated|
|BBC||Sound of 2016||Won|
- "Jack Garratt – England & Wales Births 1837–2006". Genes Reunited. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "BBC Sound of 2016 winner Jack Garratt: The story so far". BBC News. 8 January 2016.
- "BBC Music Sound Of, 2016 – 1st Jack Garratt". BBC Radio 1. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Jack Garratt tops BBC 'Sound of 2016'". Junior Eurovision. 8 January 2016.
- "Jack Garratt: Nine things you probably didn't know about the Brits Critics' Choice winner". BBC Newsbeat. 27 November 2015.
- "Jack Garratt Performs". DeeTV. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Jack Garratt Interview". BurnFM. 22 June 2015.
- "Jack Garratt: The Story So Far". BBC Radio 1. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Jack Garratt wins Brits Critics Choice 2016". The Daily Telegraph. 27 November 2015.
- "MTV's Brand New for 2016 shortlist revealed". MTV. 25 November 2015.
- "Jack Garratt tops BBC Sound of 2016 list". BBC. 8 January 2016.
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Jack Garratt". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Jack Garratt". Belgium (Flanders) Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Jack Garratt". Belgium (Wallonia) Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Jack Garratt". Italian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Jack Garratt". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- "Discography Jack Garratt". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Discographie Jack Garratt". Swiss Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Jack Garratt – Chart history: Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Certified Awards" (To access, enter the search parameter "Jack Garratt" and select "Search"). British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Top Digital – Classifica settimanale WK 6 (dal 5 February 2016 al 2016-02-11)". Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Jack Garratt – Chart History: Triple A". Billboard. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "2017 Italian certifications for Jack Garratt – FIMI" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "BBC Music Introducing Artist of the Year". BBC. 10 November 2015.
Years & Years
| Sound of...
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jack Garratt.|