This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jack Hidary is a technology researcher and entrepreneur. Hidary has collaborated with MIT on a series of papers focused on deep learning. In particular, the papers address the generalization of deep learning networks.
- EarthWeb/Dice Inc.: In 1995, Jack Hidary co-founded the IT information portal EarthWeb with his brother Murray Hidary and entrepreneur Nova Spivack. In 1998, they took the company public. Earthweb's IPO was one of the largest first-day returns in NASDAQ history. In 1999, under Hidary's leadership, EarthWeb acquired the tech career website Dice.com. In 2000, the team renamed the company Dice Inc and then later as DHI Holdings, Inc.
- Vista Research: Hidary co-founded Vista Research in 2001 as an independent financial research company serving institutional investors, drawing on experts in the fields of technology, media, telecommunications, energy, aerospace and healthcare. Vista Research was acquired in 2005 by the Standard & Poor’s division of McGraw-Hill.
- Samba Energy: Hidary is currently the Chairman for Samba Energy, a provider of software and services for clean energy and commercial building energy efficiency.
- Primary Insight: Hidary is an investor of Primary Insight, an expert network that connect buy side investors, consultants, and business decision-makers with industry experts.
Social and policy initiatives
Jack Hidary has been a vocal proponent of renewable energy. He is a trustee of the X Prize Foundation and the co-founder of the Auto X Prize, which inspired the development of highly fuel-efficient vehicles.
On July 17, 2013, Hidary announced his intent to run as an independent on a new party line called the Jobs and Education Party for New York City Mayor and succeed Michael Bloomberg. The New York Times described his political leanings as "socially progressive, fiscally reserved, and digitally savvy," and his primary goals are to better education, foster small business growth and spur employment across all boroughs, and attract companies and investment to New York. One of his primary initiatives is to increase productivity by wiring all of the city’s schools, businesses and neighborhoods for broadband Internet service. Another focus is to increase the number of tech incubators and shared workspaces across the city. His main focus is establishing employment for citizens and control spending.
Hidary studied philosophy and neuroscience at Columbia University and was awarded a Stanley Fellowship in Clinical Neuroscience at the National Institutes of Health. At NIH, Hidary focused on functional MRI studies of brain function and the application of neural network technologies to the analysis and modelling of fMRI imaging data and brain function.
- Poggio, Tomaso; Liao, Qianli; Miranda, Brando; Banburski, Andrzej; Boix, Xavier; Hidary, Jack (2018). "Theory IIIb: Generalization in Deep Networks". arXiv:1806.11379 [cs.LG].
- Poggio, Tomaso; Liao, Qianli; Miranda, Brando; Banburski, Andrzej; Boix, Xavier; Hidary, Jack (2017). "Theory of Deep Learning III: Explaining the non-overfitting puzzle". arXiv:1801.00173 [cs.LG].
- Poggio, Tomaso; Liao, Qianli; Miranda, Brando; Banburski, Andrzej; Boix, Xavier; Hidary, Jack (2018). "A Surprising Linear Relationship Predicts Test Performance in Deep Networks". arXiv:1807.09659 [cs.LG].
- Michael Intergaard (2004-02-27). Silicon Alley: the Rise and Fall of a New Media District. Psychology Press. p. 63. ISBN 9780203496596.
- David Lazarus (1998-11-11), “Net Stock Frenzy Goes Flat,” Wired. Retrieved 2010-10-05. 
- (2001-04-17). “EarthWeb Inc. to Become Dice Inc. – Nasdaq Ticker Symbol to Become ‘DICE’,” PRNewsire. Retrieved 2010-10-05 
- (2001-09-10). “Vista Research: Security Spending Continues to Increase but Companies Cannibalize IT Budgets to Pay the Bill,” PRNewswire. Retrieved: 2010-10-05 
- (2005-03-14). “S&P gets on independent research bandwagon with Vista acquisition,” Electronic Information Report. Highbeam Business. Retrieved 2010-10-05 
- "Getting To Know Jack". jackfornyc.com. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Barbaro, Michael (2013-06-19). "Executive With Eye on Bloomberg's Mantle". The New York Times.
- "A la Bloomberg, entrepreneur Jack Hidary exploring mayoral bid". Gotham Schools. 2013-06-12.
- "About Jack". jack4nyc.com'.
- "Dot-Com Entrepreneur Jack Hidary to Run for New York Mayor". 'The Wall Street Journal'. 2013-07-19.
- "New York Election Results: Bill De Blasio Defeats Joe Lhota In Mayoral Race". Huffington Post. 2013-11-06.
- "Jack Hidary". Huffington Post. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- HidaryFoundation.org Hidary Foundation site