Jack Hughes (rugby league)
4 January 1992 |
Billinge Higher End, Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, Greater Manchester
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (15 st 10 lb)|
As of 11 May 2017
Jack Hughes (born 4 January 1992 in Billinge Higher End, Wigan, Greater Manchester) is an English rugby league player for Warrington Wolves in the Super League. His preferred playing position is at second-row. Hughes made his first-grade début for Wigan in a fourth round Challenge Cup win over Barrow on 8 May 2011. He has also appeared representatively in an academy squad for the English national team in 2010 to face the Australian Schoolboys rugby league side during their tour of England.
Hughes was born on 4 January 1992 in Billinge Higher End, Wigan. He attended Golborne High School for his secondary education. Before joining Wigan officially in 2008, Hughes played for Golborne Parkside, right up until u16s age level, and then amateur Wigan St Judes feeder club.
Hughes' first experience of professional rugby league came in 2011, when he was sent to Barrow on a dual-registration deal. Although not announced during the pre-season in Wigan's 2011 squad, he made his début first-grade appearance in the fourth round of the 2011 Challenge Cup, ironically a victory against Barrow, playing off the bench as a substitute for Wigan.
Hughes broke into the first team at Wigan at the start of the 2012 season, and was soon rewarded with a new long-term contract with the club. In 2013, he played one game at Leigh Centurions on dual registration.
The academy squad of the English national team selected Hughes to face a touring Australian Schoolboys rugby league side in 2010, and he played in a victory against the Australian side in the opening fixture at second-row.
- "Huddersfield Giants 1st Team Jack Hughes". Huddersfield Giants web site. Huddersfield Giants. 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Jack Hughes". Wigan Warriors. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Wigan Warriors pair complete Barrow Raiders moves". BBC. 30 March 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Wigan 52-0 Barrow". BBC. 8 May 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Wigan Warriors reward their promising young centre Jack Hughes with long-term contract". Telegraph. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Warriors Trio Feature for Leigh". 3 June 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Wigan Warriors: Huddersfield's Patrick signs, Hughes joins Giants". BBC Sport. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Warrington sign Wigan's Jack Hughes on two-year deal". Sky Sports. 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Warrington Wolves' England Academy quartet set sights on series success". Warrington Guardian. 8 December 2010. Retrieved 8 May 2011.