|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
John David "Jack" Leigh II (November 8, 1948 – May 19, 2004), was a native of Savannah, Georgia and a graduate of The Savannah Country Day School and the University of Georgia. He was a photographer and author, known for the cover photograph on the novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The photograph itself, largely considered a major factor in the success of the novel, featured the "Bird Girl" statue from the Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah.
Already well known locally as a portrait and documentary photographer, Leigh was commissioned by Random House for the photograph. Leigh wrote and published five books on photography. His former photo gallery was a popular tourist attraction in the Historic District of downtown Savannah. He died May 19, 2004, in Savannah of colon cancer. He is buried in Bonaventure Cemetery.
- Oystering: A Way of Life (ISBN 0910326177 with James Dickey and Charles L. Wyrick, Jr.; Carolina Art Association, June 1985)
- Nets & Doors: Shrimping in Southern Waters (ISBN 0941711129, Gibbs Smith Publishing, October 1, 1989)
- Seaport: A Waterfront at Work (ISBN 094171134X, Gibbs Smith Publishing, July 1, 1996)
- The Land I'm Bound To Photographs (ISBN 978-0-393-04931-2, with Pat Conroy; W.W. Norton & Company, Sept 2000)
- The Ogeechee: A River and Its People (ISBN 082032650X, Wormsloe Foundation Publications, April 28, 2004)
- Ossabaw: Evocations of an Island (ISBN 0820326429, with James Kilgo, Alan Campbell, and John Lane; University of Georgia Press, April 28, 2004)
- English, John, The Land He's Bound To, Univ of Georgia Essay Feature, 2000
- Aberjhani, "Bound Moments: Jack Leigh's Beautiful Southern Adventures," The American Poet Who Went Home Again, 2008, pp. 91–108.
- Aberjhani, "Bound Moments: Jack Leigh's Beautiful Southern Adventures"
- Thurber, John "Cover Photo Helped Sell Midnight Novel" Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, June 8, 2004
- Official website
- The Land He's Bound To by John English
- Jack Leigh Collection Hargrett Rare Books and Manuscript Library
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|