23 May 1958
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
He is Professor of Museum Design and Communication at the Bergen National Academy of the Arts in Norway (since 1997) and Chairman of the National Museum in Warsaw, Poland (since 2008). He is Editor in Chief of UNESCO’s Museums and Diversity publications series and a member of the International Advisory Board of the National Institute of Museums in Rwanda. He has been Chief Executive Officer of the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria since 26 March 2012.
Born in London, England, of Polish parents, Lohman was educated at the University of East Anglia where he graduated with an Honours degree in History of Art in 1979. He was awarded a scholarship to read architecture at the Freie Universität Berlin and later obtained an MA at the University of Manchester. He went on to win a British Council Fellowship Award to study Architecture and Conservation in Warsaw. Lohman has also received honorary doctorates from the University of Westminster (2008), the University of London (PUNO) (2009), and the University of East Anglia (2013).
In 2000 He was appointed the Chief Executive Officer of Iziko Museums of Cape Town, South Africa, an organization consisting of fifteen national museums including the South African Museum, the South African Maritime Museum and the South African National Gallery where he led the creation of a new museum institution and the transformation of the national museum sector.
From 1985 to 1994 he worked for English Heritage, developing museums and exhibitions both nationally and internationally.
Lohman sits on the Board of the National Museum in Warsaw, the City of Warsaw Museum and the Museum of the Second World War in Gdansk. He also sits on the International Advisory Board of the Bergen Museum. He is a Board member of Canadian Museums Association and the Executive Board of the Canadian Commission for UNESCO.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
Prof Jack Lohman, Director, Royal British Columbia Museum; Director, Museum of London, 2002–12, 552
- News release (13 January 2013). "Royal BC Museum Appoints Jack Lohman as New CEO" (PDF). Royal BC Museum. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Vision 2017: a message from Professor Jack Lohman CBE, Chief Executive Officer of the Royal BC Museum". Royal BC Museum. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "New collaboration, new benefits: a conference on transnational museum collaboration, 2007,Shanghai - Jack Lohman". Transnational Museum collaboration (blog). June 2007. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Lohman, Jack (16 September 2002). "Wonders and blunders (series: architectural wonders and blunders)". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Executive Team: Professor Jack Lohman CBE". Royal BC Museum. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Marstine, Janet (2006). New museum theory and practice an introduction. Malden, MA Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 9781405148825.
- "Prof. Jack Lohman". Royal BC Museum. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 7.
|Director Royal British Columbia Museum
|Director of the Museum of London
2002 – 21 March 2012
David Spence (Interim)