Jack Mitchell (jockey)
Jack Mitchell (aged 21)[when?] is a Jockey from Epsom, Surrey who has received significant media coverage as an up-and-coming jockey, especially after his victory in the 2010 Derby Dash at the Epsom Derby. His father, Phillip Mitchell, is a well known former jockey and horse trainer and owner. He was taught to ride by his mother, Patricia.
Jack Mitchell's father, Phillip Mitchell is a well known trainer within the racing community, who had a considerable career as a jockey. Living on Epsom Downs, practically on the Epsom Derby racecourse, the family has produced multiple notable jockeys, going as far back as his grandfather - Cyril Mitchell - who began his career in 1929. His younger brother Freddie is one of the top pony-race jockeys in the country.
As of June 2010, Jack Mitchell has competed in over 800 races and had over 90 wins, including 5 wins (out of 18 races) on his home course of Epsom.
In 2009, Mitchell was rushed to hospital after falling from a horse during a race, but was not seriously injured. Riding a horse named 'Bertoliver', He won the 2010 Investec Entrepreneurial Class "Dash" despite his saddle slipping during the race.
- Montgomery, Sue (2005-08-09). "Racing: New generation of Mitchell dynasty hits stride in style - More Sports, Sport". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- Ron Cox (2007-08-15). "Horse racing: Mitchell playing his cards right in strong year for young riders | Sport". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- Lee, Alan (2008-07-17). "Philip Mitchell could be tempted back". London: Timesonline. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "MITCHELL'S STAR ON THE RISE | Sporting Life - Horse Racing News | Live Racing Results, Racecards, Live Betting Shows". Sporting Life. 2010-03-12. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Death of Cyril Mitchell aged 85 | Racing Post (London, England), The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET". Findarticles.com. 2001-01-31. Retrieved 2010-06-06.[dead link]
- By Graham Green9.37AM 30 JUL 2009 (2009-07-30). "Jack Mitchell escapes injury after horror fall - Horse Racing News". Racing Post. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- By Stuart Riley 3:19PM 5 JUN 2010 . "EPSOM Bertoliver holds off Hawkeyethenoo to win Dash - Horse Racing News". Racing Post. Retrieved 2010-06-06.